My new gear for the season

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

My new gear for the season

Postby SteveH » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:15 pm

I've picked up some new toys for the season and had a chance to try them out at ABasin last weekend. Here's the review.

Smith Maze. The lightest helmet on the market is more than just a design accomplishment. The light weight really is noticeable and the helmet is extremely comfortable. I added the Skullcany audio earpieces which fit really well.

Smith I/O goggles. The Smith folks tout the fit between their helmets and goggles, and they have a point. The goggle nestle up against the helmet like they were designed that way, and the air vents in the helmet and goggles match up to give good air circulation and prevent fogging. The optics are remarkably clear and the goggles are very comfortable.

Crash Pads upper body protection. I've worn Crash Pads impact shorts for years, and they have literally saved my butt on many occasions. I decided to add the upper body protection this year and it is a great product as well. Its essentially a nylon jacket with pads sewn at all of the potential impact points. The shape and placement of the pads is such that the jacket doesn't feel bulky or restrict movement, yet it gives significant protection in the areas you are likely to hurt in a crash.

Black Diamond TeleKneesis knee pads. I'm a big believer in snowboard knee pads. Not only are they a godsend when you crack you knees on hardpack, but they make kneeling in the snow much more comfortable. I'd been wearing a pair of ProTec soft pads, but they weren't enough to keep me from getting a nasty bruise in a hard fall in icy moguls. The TeleKneesis pads get excellent reviews and they have a hard shell for additional protection. They are slim and comfortable but feel like they will cushion even a hard hit.

Serius glove liners. My hands tend to get cold, so I'm always looking for ways to keep warm. My Marmot "Ulimate Ski Gloves" are the warmest I've found and I put liners and hand warmers in them on the colder days. I came across the Serius liners at Sniagrab, and decided to check them out. They are made with a pocket to hold a warmer and the fabric is supposed to conduct heat to move warmth to the fingers. It wasn't cold enough to use warmers, so I don't know how well the heat conduction works. I did find out that the fabric tends to stick to velcro like that on most riding parkas, so I don't know how well they will hold up.
SteveH

Re: My new gear for the season

Postby John » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for the review, Steve. It's time for me to upgrade some equipment, too. This will give me some things to think about.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby runswithdog » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi Steve,

sounds like some new cool duds. Interesting helmet. Do you think it's lighter because of a better type of cushioning?

I looked at a new womens' Smith this week, but couldn't get a good fit.
Went with a new Giro. Compared to my helmet form 3 yrs ago, this is like night and day.
My old helmet took so many smacks on the learning curve, I thought it was about time for a new one.

Also new boots, Salomon Kiana. Lucked into a half price sale still going on (last yrs model).

Here's my theory on new stuff. If you really , really enjoy this sport, it is worth every penny.

On the other hand , I also go to a local ski swap every fall, and take it some stuff that's no working/not using, and get a some extra bucks.
This year I think my Ride bindings may be going. Too many days on snow, "hammering" the release buckles with a fist to get them to open. :)
runswithdog

Postby SteveH » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:23 pm

runswithdog"]sounds like some new cool duds. Interesting helmet. Do you think it's lighter because of a better type of cushioning?

I'm not sure how they reduced the weight so much. Its definitely low profile so there is less material overall, but its still comfortable and well cushioned.
SteveH

Postby hookster » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks for the reviews Steve, You've got me thinking about adding some upper body protection. I added Skeletools knee/shin guards last season after a hard fall on a rail the season before.

Take Care,
Hookster
hookster

Postby canoer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:30 pm

I laid off last winter; moved to a new house in a new area of the country. Getting ready to get back into it here in the UP, where the ski hill at Porcupine Mountain State Park will be the closest resort to me. Got my bindings back on and decided to order some prescription goggles.

I've had good luck ordering glasses online from Zennioptical.com so while refilling a new Rx, I tossed a pair of goggles into the shopping cart. They came today and the quality in the house looks better than I expected. Did I mention that they cost $36, plus$5 shipping? Cheap. :-)

Time will tell on the mountain. It looks like the glasses "insert" pops out so you may be able to transfer them to other goggles, or use the goggles without the lens inserts.

(Hey John, missed you at Bogus but maybe we can ride somewhere in Michigan together now that I'm in the UP).
canoer

Postby runswithdog » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:54 am

Canoer:

so, you moved from ID over to near the UP?
Wow. Hope it's going well and I will pray you will see some powder, just not all the heavy wet stuff. :)

rwd, still in Colo
runswithdog

Postby canoer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:11 am

Yep, living right on Lake Superior. The snow that I shoveled here last winter was very light and powdery. Lots easier to move around than the stuff we got in Anchorage and it doesn't set up like concrete after the plows come through. Whatever it is, it'll have to do until the next move.
canoer

Postby John2 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:31 am

So you're in da U-P, eh? That's another reason to get over to the Porkies sometime. I've never been there, but I'd like to give it a go. I have been to Indianhead and Big Powderhorn, but never the Porkies.

Glad to hear about those glasses. I will have to check out that source. I'm blind without my lenses, and it's been a long time since I've had some that I can use just for recreational purposes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Return to Gear: General