To Leash, or Not To Leash

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

To Leash, or Not To Leash

Postby welshscarry » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Okay, I have 2 Burton shorty leashes, the 6 inch kind that strap binding to boot.
And I bought a long 2-3 footer, attaches to upper calf and then to binding.

Not one liftie or mountain worker has yet to ask or inspect a leash on my board.

I can see how it may help at the bottom of the hill, while you "strapping up", if there is bit of slope.

ON the Other Hand, I think I like the long leash best--for this use.

At multiple resorts (while walking to the gondola or the base of hill), I have used the long leash like a dog leash. Put your board flat on the snow, pull it behind you like a wagon No carrying needed.
My skiier friends look at me in disbelief, as the lug their heavy skis and poles over the shoulders.

Let's hear some opinions.
welshscarry

Postby John » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Like you, I've never had anyone ASK to look at my leash, though it's mandatory at most (though not all!) the places I have been to.

I have no problem using a leash. Well, I should say that I have no chip on my shoulder over any requirement to use one. It sometimes is a pain to use, though, especially when I was using the kind with the plastic combo that is something like a seat-belt: insert one end into the other. The chief problem with that is that the leash is almost too short to wrap around my leg.

Last season I bought a leash with an eye hook. it's the shorter kind. I don't miss being able to "walk the dog" that much. What I miss in that I more than gain in simplicity of unsnapping the eyehook around a lace.

But I wonder how that works with a boa lacing boot ... Thoughts?
John

Postby bernwern » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:44 am

I agree with leashes, althogh statistically they are never "used" 99.9% of the time. Has anyone ever seen a binding release, aside from step-ins? I have seen binding screws shear off the entire board several times, but never seen a binding release or both straps break.

As for your question on BOA, I got the Vans Fargo Focus BOA boots last year. Great boot! Originally, because I did not want to remove the laces, I simply latched onto one of the steel laces. This was great for half the season, then the wear on the steel occured and I blew the lace out. When relacing them, I slipped the metal ring onto the lace, which makes attachment quicker and prolongs the life of the laces greatly. In hindsight, I should have doen this from the start :(

-B
bernwern

Postby Kecht06 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:16 pm

Wearing leashes don't bother me in the least, and in fact I like to use them especially when I am teaching or around people where I am in and out of my board a lot. I use the seat belt kind that John spoke about for two reasons 1) I ride the DC Judges Boot which is a full Boa system, and 2) I can get out of my bindings quickly without having to worry about my board which allows me to focus on whoever I am needing to help.

If your not instructing are leashes necessary, I don't know I pity the poor soul that losses his board when both feet come out of his bindings if you can picture that. Yikes.
And Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.
Kecht06

Postby canoer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:28 pm

I like a leash long enough to clip onto my rear binding so I can sling my board over my shoulder when I walk to and from the parking lot. I find that easier than "walking the dog."
canoer

Postby welshscarry » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:59 am

Using the shorty 6 in. leash that clips to the laces of boot..........

I got smart and slipped a 1 or 1/5 inch round stainless key ring loop through the laces down near the toes. Then just clip the leash onto the ring. This seems much easier to clip and unclip , especially in gloves, with heavy snow, wind, cold etc.
welshscarry

Return to Gear: General