Belated Intro - Rob from the Bay Area of California

If you are new to the web site, feel free to introduce yourself here. You might wish to direct questions about gear, techniques, etc. to more specific forums.

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:39 am

Hi Munky- My reply was all science and no snowboarding, so I sent it as a private message. Have you guys ever taken your boards to one of the Aspen Conferences? -Rob
Rob

Postby John » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:07 pm

I've been to Aspen a lot, but never to a conference. I must be in the wrong profession. Years ago I took a group lesson. There were two of us. The other student was a guy there for a legal conference. He went every year and always got a "lesson," mostly to have a skiing companion.

Get your CLE in the morning, ski all day, and get a business deduction. What a deal.
John

Postby MunkySpunk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:47 pm

Can't say I've had the pleasure of being to a West Coat meeting during the season. My wife went to Snowmass and I went to Corvalis last year and Monterey Bay this year, all in the summer.

The lab managed to hit up Whistler during a meeting two years before I joined up. :cry:
- Old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill
MunkySpunk

Thanks for hooking me up here, Rob!

Postby lynniemilano » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:11 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks to your suggestions I a) just started checking out this website a couple weeks ago and joined it today and b) also ordered myself a pair of Flow Minx bindings which I'll be able to start using mid-January. I'm about to post a topic for input on women's boards - not a lot available here but I think Ebay Germany has a few. Looking forward to seeing you around the site!

Lynn
lynniemilano

Postby John » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:16 am

MunkySpunk,

Snowmass is one of my favorite places to ride, but I've never been to the area in the summer.

Lynniemilano, welcome to the site.
John

Postby SteveH » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:26 am

There are medical and legal conferences in Vail all the time. I'm teaching at one the beginning of January. Lectures 6 to 8 am and 4 to 6 pm and try to find some way to fill the time in between. 8) Tough gig, but somebody's got to do it.

Steve
SteveH

Re: belated Intro - Rob from the Bay Area of California

Postby Rob2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:58 am

Hello again to all my friends on GoT. At the end of last season I foolishly changed a parameter in GoT user preferences and could no longer log in to this Forum. John tried hard to figure this out but in the end it was just one of those impossible bugs. So as my 09-10 season was about to commence I asked John to set me up as a new user, and here I am. :)

For all you GoTs who have been here for a few years, please note that Rob2 = Rob. And for all the new people, this is my introduction: This will be my 4th season. I began snowboarding at age 59 and at 63 have progressed to the point where I can link turns all the way down the Boulder Bowl on the Nevada side of Heavenly. This is a green run that has some blue parts. I still have trouble initiating a toeside turn sometimes, and most of my turns skid, so this year I'm going to work on the toeside and staying up on the edge so my turns are more carved and less skidded. I ride an 06 Burton Custom, Flow bindings and Vans Encore boots that I mention because I love the BOA boot closures.

I've got a lot of questions this year for which I hope to find answers here on GoT and out on the snow in the Sierras. I'm from the Bay Area (actually Silicon Valley) and it's great to be back on GoT - thanks John!

Our first trip is from 12/19 - 12/23. We'll be in South Lake Tahoe and will probably spend all our mountain time at Heavenly and Sierra at Tahoe.

Rob(2)
Rob2

Re: belated Intro - Rob from the Bay Area of California

Postby IdahoRider » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:50 pm

Hey rob2, welcome back to the Fold!

Glad to hear you are planning for another season on the slopes. Schweitzer opened the day after T'giving with limited runs, but even so, it was a good opening day. We had a couple of inches of natural fluff on a groomed combination of natural and "made" snow. I haven't been back since then, but considering the dump of nearly a foot we have gotten in the last 36 hours or so, I think it will be worth the trip up the hill tomorrow.

Have a great time at Tahoe. Let us know how things went. Post pictures! I will try to do the same this season.

ride on!
Ed
aka IdahoRider
aka G.O.A.T. (Gray On A Tray)
Sandpoint, ID
IdahoRider

Re: Belated Intro - Rob from the Bay Area of California

Postby Rob3 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:42 am

Leaving this post just in case any of my old friends stop by as we approach the 2015-16 season in Northern California. If you want to talk snowboarding, just know that I'll respond to every post. -ElNiñoMan
Rob3

Postby EdenP » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:28 am

Rob this is EdenP. Been quite a while since I have posted. I guess most people prefer facebook these days. Haven't done much riding the past couple of years but I have every intention of going up real soon because I miss it a lot. Hopefully I will be able to post something soon. Stay tuned.
EdenP

Postby Rob3 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi Eden,

I hope all is well with you.

I'm just beginning to look at the new equipment being advertised for the 2016-17 season, and dreaming about carved turns.

Facebook is ok if one does not want to dig deep into a topic, so I continue to hope that people will want to talk snowboarding here :)

Rob and Ann Squaw Valley Jan 2016.JPG
This photo was taken last January just before we rode/skied down the Lakeview trail at Squaw Valley
Rob and Ann Squaw Valley Jan 2016.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 10598 times

Best,
Rob
Rob3

Previous

Return to Introductions