I'm Vertically Challenged

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

I'm Vertically Challenged

Postby John » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:52 pm

I'm vertically challenged. No, I don't mean that I'm short--not when I stand 6 feet tall. Actually, I should say that my snowboarding options around here are vertically challenged. I received in today's mail the season flier for the local hill (we have six to choose from) where I had my season pass last year. If you buy ahead of time but buy a single pass (not part of any sort of group), the cost is $389.

If I recall correctly, Vail Corp sells a Summit County-pass for $399. I see in another topic on this board that Kirkwood (Tahoe) sells a pass for $379. Ouch!

I understand that there are costs to turning that lifts that don't have much if anything to do with the amount of vertical feet. There's liability insurance, paying lifties and other staff, plowing the parking lots, and so forth. There are even expenses that are more likely in the Midwest than in other places, namely lots of electricity and water for snowmaking.

And yeah, I could up and move to Denver or Salt Lake or Idaho or what have you. And maybe I will. Someday, but not today. As much as I love riding, there are other things I love more, such family members who live here and whom I interact with on a regular basis. And to quote Ronald Reagan, "I own this microphone," so I hope you'll indulge my little rant today.

I do have two "out west" trips planned, though. One is to Sun Valley, as part of a convention (March) and another is to the "Last Gasp," the annual Grays on Trays gathering at A-Basin (May).
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Re: I'm Vertically Challenged

Postby SteveH » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:47 pm

The economics clearly call for a move to Colorado:

Assuming Lutsen is the MN resort in question, it's 986 acreas cost you 39 cents per acre.

Colorado pass gives you access to 5 mountains with a combined approximate area of 16,000 acres. That's 2.5 cents per acre.
SteveH

Postby John » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Steve,

No, I'm not talking about Lutsen. That's some 4-5 hours north of me. And it's about 960 vert, not 300 (what's available within 15-80 minutes of my house, depending on which area I'm looking at). That means economics are even LESS favorable here than what you calculate!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby SteveH » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:02 pm

If you do the calculation based on vertical:

Abasin 2257
Breckenridge 3398
Beaver Creek 4040
Keystone 2340
Vail 3330
Total 15365

Price per fot of vertical = 2.6 cents per foot

300 feet of vertical for $389 = $1.29 per foot.
Thats 50 times the value for your money!

To be fair, you have to hike some of that vert at ABasin and Breckridge, and in the case of the East Wall chutes at ABasin you probably wouldn't survive the descent.

Of course the good news is that the Colorado resorts are practically giving away season passes to anyone, so it makes a trip here extremely economical, not to mention incredible deals on lodging.

Start plannin your trips now!
SteveH

Postby bernwern » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:15 pm

I agree on the cost of passes here...it sucks big time. I am solving this by relocating in another out west in about 2.5 years.

-B
bernwern

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.