porcupine mnts power...

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

porcupine mnts power...

Postby dcalc » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Just returned from Porkies and was greeted with perfect conditions (Friday the 2/6) with untouched powder from the week's snowfall. let me explain. Since they are now only open fri-mon, any powder build-up during the week stays untouched. Morever, since they don't have the double lift running, 1/2 half the mountain stays this way all day. you have to hike a bit (5-10minutes) after running as far as possible from the triple, but it was worth as the hill had 1-2 ft of power. It also makes it a great workout. I got in a lot of powder practice and that's very rare here in the mid-west. it was the best boarding i've every experienced outside of Colorado.
So, watch the forecast and if the porkies get a lot of snow during the week, be there on Friday, i highly recommend it. Especially for you guys in Wisc and Minn as it's not that far (i'm from Southeast MI where it's a solid 9 hr drive!)
Dan
dcalc

Postby John » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for the report. Yeah, it does make me want to go. It's about a 6-hour drive for me. Never been there.

I opened up the trail map that is on the web site. There are three lifts that I see.

- One goes over Agate Run
- Another goes over Hiawatha
- A third goes over Porcupine Plunge.

Could you ID each lift? Which are doubles, which are triples, and which ones are actually running?

You mentioned hiking 5-10 minutes. From where to where?

Finally, did you pony up the extra money for the snowcat rides? If so, what's that terrain like? It sounds, though, that heading there is unnecessary after a good storm.
John

Postby dcalc » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:51 pm

only 1 lift is operating, the triple which puts at the top of the Agate run. from this lift you can hit the runs from hidden valley to copper run. if you want to hit the runs starting with porcupine plunge through hemlock, you need to hike a bit (~5-10 minutes). You can ride timber trail to about copper run. then you have to hike a bit up hill to porcupine plunge run (where double used to take you, but it's shut down). Here it's mostly downhill on timber trail - so you can have you pick of the west slope runs which are not lift serviced nor groomed. I found them in perfect powder conditions - it was a blast. I fell once in deep pow and I'm still digging the snow out of me! I found the superior view run to be a blast.
I went on Friday, the snowcat does not run on Friday, only sat.
dcalc

Postby John » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Thanks for adding those details. You're right; riding in powder is a joy.

The need to hike to get to a sort of closed area reminds me of my trip last March to Cannon Mountain, New Hampshire. It sits adjacent to another ski area that has been defunct for 3 decades (though it's coming back!). You take one trail as far as you can and then hike up for about 50 yards then then drop back down. It's a bit different from your experience, but there was something enjoyable about riding in snow that was reasonably soft (not as good as you had it) and which had not been groomed.

So there was only one lift running for you?
John

Postby dcalc » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:13 am

yep, and they don't plan on fixing or running the double this year which used to serve the west side slopes.
On weekends the cat will take you to these runs but it doesn't run on Fridays. So, on Friday you have to hike over using a trail (Timber) which I think is a cross country trail.

I put up a photo to help you out. Take note of: I'm alone, run is ungroomed and there's power. You can take advantage of this on Friday only after a snow during the week as noted.
Dan
dcalc

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.