Northern Michigan riding buddies

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

Northern Michigan riding buddies

Postby ratherbesurfing » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:00 am

As we approach the middle part of this season; one of the best snow-wise I've seen in a long time, I'm wishing I had some people to share the stoke with. My wife, the trooper she is, tore up her ankle playing indoor soccer and is out up to 6 weeks+. My old riding buddy left Northern Michigan for the mountains of Oregon, so here I sit, all this snow, and no one but myself to push me...or get me killed.
I mostly ride park, or all-mountain freestyle, just jibbing around, tricking off of whatever. Just looking for some old people to hit it up with and have some fun. I'm 34 and I've definitely slowed down in recent years, but I'm still hucking myself around out there, so please feel free to contact me. I ride every weekend, and can make any mountain within an hour-1 1/2 hrs. from TC...possibly further!
ratherbesurfing

Postby John » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:02 pm

So what qualifies as 1, 1 1/2 hours from TC? I count, possibly, Crystal, Shanty Creek, The Homestead, and Holiday. (http://www.graysontrays.com/map_michigan_north.php)

Last March I spent a few days at Boyne Mountain and met up with MunkySpunk (unfortunately for you, he has since moved to upper New York).
John

Postby ratherbesurfing » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Those you mentioned plus both Boyne's (Mtn & Highlands), Nub's, Treetops, Caberfae peaks, and probably more that I can't remember. So far this season I've ridden Boyne Mtn, Nub's, the Homestead, Shanty & Caberfae.
ratherbesurfing

Postby John » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:38 pm

What are your favorites?
John

Postby ratherbesurfing » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:53 pm

In my opinion Nub's Nob kills it. Their park is perfect, they have two pipes every year, the snow quality is the best in the biz, and the backside is full of trees and pow. Love it. If I'm just going out for a couple/few hrs to slide around I like Shanty or the Homestead. Not because of quality, but more ambiance. I like less crowds, shorter lift lines, and the village atmosphere. Plus the smaller places need the support.
ratherbesurfing

Postby John » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:10 pm

On the subject of lift lines ... My wife has bad memories from childhood of waiting for 20-30 minutes in lift lines, usually at Crystal. Can the wait still be that bad, or is this more like the story of walking uphill, both ways, on the way to school?

I don't do much freestyle stuff. Sometimes a little halfpipe, and if the conditions are right, a box or two. I like trees and powder. Sounds like Nubs is the place to go, you'd say?
John

Re: Northern Michigan riding buddies

Postby DLSTEW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Nubs Nob is our favorite. Boyne Highlands across the road with that really long run is a close second. Nubs is the best though. They constantly groom the snow and the lines aren't bad, whenever we go anyway (usually night).
DLSTEW

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.