Tornado Watches in January?

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

Tornado Watches in January?

Postby Grizzled » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am

60 degrees, three days of rain, tornado watches in January...yes FRIGGIN TORNADO WATCHES. Whats next dogs & cats living together???
Riding since '87
Grizzled

Postby MunkySpunk » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:38 pm

As a biologist: This weather scares the crap out of me. This shouldn't be happening. Not at all.. not even a little. Global warming is real folks.. this kind of weather is going to become more common. Have any financial interests in ski resorts below the 45th parallel? Sell 'em now.

As a snowboarder: This weather pisses me off to no end. I should be getting 2-3 days in per week about this time. There's no snow around here now. All the resorts will have to start from scratch this weekend. This is ridiculous.... this is NOT natural.
MunkySpunk

Postby dcalc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:30 am

me too - but I'm not quite ready to say that this week's warm spell is global warming as we've seen these before. We had the best early season I can remember since I've been boarding (past 5 years). We had great conditions state wide at x-mas - and this is rare.
I would be more concerned about the total length of our winters or summers - this would be a better indication to me.
and, by the way, I believe it global warming which is why is live only 2 miles from work, often bike to work, don't use AC in my home or car.
Dan
dcalc

Postby MunkySpunk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:40 pm

This was more than rare, it was record setting.. literally.

I'm not saying THIS is what global warming is all about, but it's a sign. It's long-term trends that are the real indicator. Unfortunately, it's not as long term as people once thought. :(

But spells like this don't do much to settle my nerves. My point is that warmer spells will become more common and the ideal (for boarding) winters will get shorter and less severe.
MunkySpunk

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.