Boarding in Michigan

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

Boarding in Michigan

Postby sk8r49 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:48 pm

I am wondering if there are any "grays" that board in the SE Michigan area. I ask this because I have never come across anyone over the age of 25. I have recently purchased a seasons pass to Mt. Holly, Michigan, and would like company!
Mariska aka sk8r49
sk8r49

Postby John » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi there, Mariska!

Right now I can't think of anyone off-hand. But I'm hoping that someone will jump on board here.

One thing you might do is call your snow area (or local parks and recreation department) and ask if anyone offers adult-only classes. Even if you don't need classes, this may lead you to some over-25 riders.

John
John

Postby John » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:27 pm

Though Michigan isn't Colorado or Utah, it does have a lot of ski and snowboard areas. Here is a list that I compiled a couple of years ago.

Name, City, Vertical Drop
Al Quaal Ski Area, Ishpeming, 100
Alpine Valley, White Lake, 300
Apple Mountain, Freeland, 201
Big Powderhorn, Bessemer, 600
Bittersweet Ski Area, Otsego, 300
Blackjack, Bessemer, 465
Boyne Highlands, Harbor Springs, 550
Boyne Mountain, Harbor Springs ,500
Caberfae, Cadillac, 485
Cannonsburg, Cannonsburg, 250
Crystal Mountain, Thompsonville, 375
Gladstone Sports Park, Gladstone, 110
Hanson Hills, Grayling, 200
Indianhead, Wakefield, 638
Marquette Mt, Marquette, 600
Mio Mountain, Mio, 250
Mont Ripley, Houghton, 423
Mt. Brighton, Brighton, 250
Mt. Bohemia, Copper Harbor, 900
Mt. Holiday, Traverse City, 200
Mt. Holly, Holly, 350
Mt. Zion, Ironwood, 300
Mulligan's Hollow, Grand Haven, 300
Nub's Nob, Harbor Springs, 427
Pando Ski Area, Rockford, 125
Pine Knob, Clarkston, 300
Porcupine, Ontonagan , 641
Shanty Creek, Bellaire, 450
Ski Brule, Iron River, 500
Skyline, Grayling, 210
Snowsnake Mountain, Harrison, 200
Swiss Valley, Jones ,225
Timber Ridge, Gobles ,250
Treetops Resort, Gaylord, 225
John

board michigan

Postby mic » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:02 am

im 43 boarding mich. for 8-10 yrs. skied for 23 prior always looking for boarders to hook up with .
mic

Postby bobsims » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:37 pm

I'm 62, retired, snowboarding 2 years, no significant skiing prior. At big resorts I ride greens, just getting into blues. Ride mostly at Mt. Brighton during biz hours, but go to Holly on occasion. Have bumped into other old snowboarders in the area. Ann Arbor Ski Club has a few, I think, and the other local ski clubs probably do, too. Wouldn't mind hooking up w/ others to ride with.
bobsims

Postby Rod Smith » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:41 pm

Very cool, bobsims! How many take up snowboarding at 60!? I hope you're riding a long time!
Rod Smith

Postby boneheadX » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:33 am

Your not alone in Michigan- Birthplace of snowboarding-
I have a Guy in my crew thats 28 and they call him "Old-Man" ??

anyway- www.boneheadx.com has a listing of events and links to the decent resorts in michigan, also a discussion board much like this one-
If you hear of anything, or would like something posted- drop us a line there- I'd Like to start a "Grays-with-Trays" event. getting the older boarders together for some good-ole' FUN

my favorite thing to say to the kids of today
"Without OLDSCHOOL there would be no NEWSCHOOL" :lol:

Enjoy- We are headed up to Boyne Highlands Friday for the 6-for-1 and also the Huck-Fin / Middle Earth Rider's Camp Saturday & Sunday- :wink:
"On a regular day I'm goofy, on a goofy day I'm regular"
boneheadX

Postby John » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:44 am

It's funny what is considered an "old man." Or just who qualifies as a member of "grays on trays." I've heard that expression applied to people over 25, while others reserve it to anyone over 55. That's quite a range!

In my case, I generally think of it as anyone over 30. (If you're of a certain age, you'll remember the expression "Never trust anyone over 30.") Then again, the spirit of the Grays on Trays forum is all about defying age-based expectations. And if that means you impress people (not that impressing people is the goal) by competing at age 28, well, so be it..

John
Publisher, GraysOnTrays
John

Postby Grizzled » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:52 pm

"Michigan isn't Colorado" ya got that right bub. Of my 31 years 18 of em have been spent riding these cursed, god foresaken, ice glazed, crap hills of Michigan. Yeah thats right, 18 years ya whipper snappers. My first board had a split tail and a fin. A FIN LIKE ON THE BOTTOM OF A SURF BOARD. How's that fer showin my age.

Now a days I jump around to whichever hills got the best conditions and rates. I'll hit Holly, Brighton or Alpine on occasion but don't make a regular habit out of em. Usually only if we get fresh snow and I can skip out on work or on a midweek special. For what those places charge I'd rather go north for a weekend. Caberfae, Nubs, Boyne, Shanty or my favorite Searchmont Canada. Searchmont can't be beat for $ terrain and alround good times.

Being as old as I am I've lost touch with most of the guys from long ago due to various reasons; old age relocation, weight problems, broken bodies, booze, mariage, etc etc etc. So I'm always lookin for new riders to hang with. I don't mind givin free lessons to beginners. Ya can find me on the slopes riding my K2 Ginsu (best freeriding board ever with the worst graphics ever, rainbow stripped all the way down) covered with stickers to try and hide the gayness of it.
Grizzled

Postby boneheadX » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:34 am

31....18 years of riding... whipper snapper ?
I'm 39, been teaching at MtHolly, Alpine & Brighton- :wink:
instructor for 18 years- and that swallow tail- I got my push when my Father brought home a skeeter-board, some guy broke his leg on it and my old-man thought I'd like it. Thank you DAD! 8)

We should meet-up and shred the hills! I could posibly hook-you up a ticket at MtBrighton ? I think My profile has my e-mail on it-
"On a regular day I'm goofy, on a goofy day I'm regular"
boneheadX

Postby Grizzled » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:13 am

Free ticket to Brighton? Boy does that bring back the memories. Scammin free tix from a buddies girlfiend workin the window, rippin tix in half and sharing em till we got caught, peeling em off and selling em in the parkinglot, borrowin a friends season pass. Ah yes the good-ole-days.

Pick a day and I'll be there. Weekdays are cool I'm always lookin for a good reason ta skip outta work. Is there any snow left at Brighton or are ya feeding the geese wading in the ponds at the bottom of the hill?
Grizzled

last minute @ Mt Holly

Postby sk8r49 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:24 pm

Whew! Holidays are over, rain has stopped and we got dumped. Well for southeastern Michigan 4 inches is getting dumped. A few "grays" are meeting at Mt Holly on Friday January 7th. Sorry for the last minute notice. Will do better next time! At 3:00 we will be riding the mach I. At 5:00 we will meet at the Lift Lounge at the bar. If you come, just look for anyone old, on a board. Then yell "hey, they don't let old people on this hill!" That will be us, and then we will know who you are! Be there or be phat!
sk8r49

Postby bobsims » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Will be on Ann Arbor Ski Club trip to Shanty/Schuss, otherwise I'd be there!
bobsims

Postby Grizzled » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:06 am

Caberfae claims to 11 inches of new pow and $2 Labatts. I'll be there this weekend.
Grizzled

Postby snowrider » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:45 pm

We got 6" last night on Mt. Sunapee so guess where I just got home from?

Actually, I like Corona or Heiniken. How's Mich?

We
re
snowrider

Next

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.