Hope to meet some of you at Brighton

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

Hope to meet some of you at Brighton

Postby rfox » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:01 pm

Hello,

My name is Rob, and I just got into boarding at age 30. Never skied before, so I don't have any comparison as to which is easier. Needless to say I'm not very good. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I hope to find people to hang with and learn from. I'll be the newbie with the orange Ebtek jacket and black pants with orange Ride Decade board. If you see me at mt Brighton, please do say hello. I'm always looking to make new friends. None of my other friends are very athletic, so getting into sports can be lonely for me.

Hope to meet you.

Rob
Rob Fox
rfox

Re: Hope to meet some of you at Brighton

Postby ALEX6969 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:02 am

Where is Brighton?

rfox wrote:Hello,

My name is Rob, and I just got into boarding at age 30. Never skied before, so I don't have any comparison as to which is easier. Needless to say I'm not very good. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I hope to find people to hang with and learn from. I'll be the newbie with the orange Ebtek jacket and black pants with orange Ride Decade board. If you see me at mt Brighton, please do say hello. I'm always looking to make new friends. None of my other friends are very athletic, so getting into sports can be lonely for me.

Hope to meet you.

Rob
ALEX6969

Postby John » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:32 am

Mt. Brighton is a ski area west of Detroit, Michigan. It web site is here: http://www.mtbrighton.com/.
John

Postby hookster » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:13 am

Welcome Rob, I know what you're saying about the non-athletic friends. Although I have a few who are curious about my enthusiasm for boarding I can't get any of them to try it so I'm always going alone but I am starting to take occasional runs with a few of the other regulars at the resort whom I've struck up conversations with. Anyway, keep at it and you'll find that progress comes quickly.
hookster

Postby dcalc » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi Rob,
You are kind of young to be a "gray".

Anyway, I'm also a beginner (was an intermediate skier) and I suck (at the moment), and I live near Mr. Brighton, but I've never been there.
Maybe it's me, but I just can't make myself go there. I go skiing (now boarding) to get away from it all and for the whole experience (that why I've only gone to MI's UP). I know that I need to start going to a local place to improve (3x a year trip = very slow progress).

I wonder if anyone else that lives in the vertical challenged parts of the world have the same problem?
dcalc

Postby John » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:08 am

dcalc,

Yes, I live in a "vertically challenged" area. I can drive 3 hours and my reward is a 700 foot vertical. (For the Midwest, Granite Mountain--Wausau, Wisc., is good). Lutsen has more vertical, but it's also a longer distance.

My wife (not a snowboarder) would share your sentiments, but take them even further. She simply doesn't ski except if it's out west. Not worth the bother, is her opinion.

The fact that skiing on small hills isn't that great after a while is one reason I took up riding. It makes little areas interesting again. I suppose that once I master cruising on a board (an upcoming trip out west should prove educational), then it will be time to mix things up with a few tricks.

But for the larger question--how do you keep going to a plain-jane ski hill. For me, it's about getting outside, regardless of how pedestrian or pleasant the surroundings are. It's also about getting a workout, and a challenge. So far, I don't need epic conditions to do that.
John

Postby dcalc » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:19 am

Ok, i'm not that bad. The resorts in northerm Mi are just fine for me and I agree with the part about just getting outside, it's just that I doubt that your hill anything close to being as bad as Mr Brighton.
dcalc

Postby Grizzled » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:03 pm

BRIGHTON SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But what are ya gonna do? Can't go up north every weekend. I've been doin this to long I'm a junkie, gotta get my fix. When I do hit a local hill I rotate between Brighton, Holly and Alpine seems to help a bit. Each hills got it's good points and bad points and it's enough to get me by till the next weekend when I head north.
Plus nothing beats skippin outa work and hittin the slopes. From Warren I can be on a chairlift at either hill in under an hour. Sittin on a chairlift starrin up at a bright sunny sky at noon while everyone else is workin (or them d*** kids are in skewl) puts the biggest smile on my face.

Oh yeah I'll be at Brighton Saturday and Alpine tonight. Gonna check out that boardercross thing Bonehead was talkin aboot.
Grizzled

Postby bobsims » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:30 pm

John - Is there any way we Mt. Brighton-goers can set up some sort of users' group so we can post our email addresses, phone numbers, snowboarding schedules, etc., or talk/email with each other or the group? Would make it easier to meet other Grays there.

I got a season pass at MB. I usually just bop up from Ann Arbor (30 minutes in my snowboard boots), ride a couple of hours at the most, then go home. I don't know about you other folks, but there's a lot of stuff I can work on - probably years' worth. My carving technique is coming into focus (I'm a slow learner), and I've started to work on carving switch. Just learned to do a slow pirouette most of the way down the easy black/red hill; now I've got to do it the other way. Hope to start doing jumps a little this year, maybe take a swipe at the pipe. No interest in the park - yet. Then I need to go to the steeper hill and work on higher-speed 1/2-carve, 1/2 slide turns at speed so I can keep up with my skiing buddies when we do a trip. Not anxious to catch an edge at speed, though, and mash my slower-healing old bod.

So I usually just 'work' when I'm at MB. Would like to go with others and just have fun, too. - Bob
bobsims

Postby ALEX6969 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:51 am

Good idea. How about doing that in other areas in the U.S.?

bobsims wrote:John - Is there any way we Mt. Brighton-goers can set up some sort of users' group so we can post our email addresses, phone numbers, snowboarding schedules, etc., or talk/email with each other or the group? Would make it easier to meet other Grays there.

I got a season pass at MB. I usually just bop up from Ann Arbor (30 minutes in my snowboard boots), ride a couple of hours at the most, then go home. I don't know about you other folks, but there's a lot of stuff I can work on - probably years' worth. My carving technique is coming into focus (I'm a slow learner), and I've started to work on carving switch. Just learned to do a slow pirouette most of the way down the easy black/red hill; now I've got to do it the other way. Hope to start doing jumps a little this year, maybe take a swipe at the pipe. No interest in the park - yet. Then I need to go to the steeper hill and work on higher-speed 1/2-carve, 1/2 slide turns at speed so I can keep up with my skiing buddies when we do a trip. Not anxious to catch an edge at speed, though, and mash my slower-healing old bod.

So I usually just 'work' when I'm at MB. Would like to go with others and just have fun, too. - Bob
ALEX6969

Postby John » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:21 pm

Exploring the possibilities right now.
John

Postby jRok57 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:17 pm

I didn't know there were so many Brighton-goers. I usually go every wednesday for the day session (it's really empty). I pretty much do the same thing Bob does - work on carving, riding switch, and a little bit of jumps. I too, am not so fond of catching an edge at full tilt!
But yea, if anyone is ever up at Brighton and wants someone to ride with, look for me in the lodge between 12p-12:30p, 2:30p-3p, and of course 5p. I've found it best to break up the day, otherwise I fall a lot more often and a lot harder. Name's Jason, and I wear black Spyder pants, a light blue/black jacket, and blue burton boots - usually sit in first row of tables from the doors (north side room) by the glass.
jRok57

Postby kakaharoo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:51 pm

Brighton Ice Riders Represent!!!

I'll be there tomarrow with my girlfriend.

Seeing it'll be the first time making it out this year I may just be messing around. If I'm motivated I'll probably be working on riding switch and doing small 180's.

I have an Orange Palmer board, Blue Pants, Orange jacket.
Going to Tahoe Dec17th-31st. Pray for Snow.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and only 17 muscles to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
kakaharoo

Postby Grizzled » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:04 pm

According to Brightons snow report. They only have 2 lifts running on the 2 smallest slopes tomorrow. No halfpipe yet. Until the half opens or the backside of the big hill opens I'm sticking to Holly or Alpine. I'm hittin Holly tomorrow. Last weekend they had half the hill open already and a couple of kickers built.

John
"I can drive 3 hours and my reward is a 700 foot vertical. (For the Midwest, Granite Mountain--Wausau, Wisc., is good)."

How far from Green Bay is this? Goin to Lambeau next weekend to watch the Packers whup up on the lions. If we leave Friday I might be able to squeeze in some runs between the partying.
Grizzled

Postby John » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:23 pm

Mapquest city-to-city (GB to Wausau) says 97 miles.

Click here
http://www.graysontrays.com/resorts-midwest.php

and scroll down to /search for Granite Peak. Look at the mapquest link and you can plot out the trip.

I've driven this stretch of road several times, en route to the Wisconsin (Manitowoc) to Michigan (Ludington) car ferry. If memory serves, it's a 4 lane divided highway but it it may not be unlimited access, so watch for occasional cross traffic.
John

Next

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.