Northern mich.'s best?

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

Northern mich.'s best?

Postby dcalc » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:07 am

I want to try some "resorts" in northern lower mich (I've only boarded in UP - but would like some to not always drive so far). I would appreciate some preferences from the grays crowd.
My internet research would rank them as follows for us gray boarders:
1) Nub's Nob
2) Crystal
3) Boynes
4) Shanty
5) Caberfae
Do you guys agree?
I prefer less people and don't care about quality of lodging and food.
Dan
dcalc

Postby Grizzled » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:01 am

1 Boyne Highlands / Nubs Less crowded than Boyne Mt. Right across the street from each other, if you spend a weekend there ya might as well hit em both.

2 Boyne Mt. Better runs but more crowded, bit pricey$$$.

3 Shanty/Schuss Smaller than Boynes & crowded, but they run a shuttle between the 2 hills. At least they used to been a few years since I was there.

4 Caberfae Never crowded, super cheap & closer. They don't have as many runs as the others but the runs they do have are descent. $35 all day/night tickets with internet coupon and kids under 10 ski free. Tailgate atmosphere bring a cooler of beer, a grill & some brats.

Crystal, been so long since I was there I can't remember anything about it.

Last year we spent a weekend on Boyne Mt. A weekend in Petoskey at Boyne Highlands & Nubs. A weekend at Searchmont in Soo Canada. And made several 1day/1night trips to Caberfae.
Riding since '87
Grizzled

Postby dcalc » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:57 pm

Thanks. Very helpful. I think I'm going to start at Nub's (1 day), then hit Caberfae next day (on my way home), for my first two days this year.
dcalc

Nub's and Boyne

Postby danvaught » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:30 pm

I sent the past weekend (Apr 1) at Boyne Mountain and a 1/2 day trip to Nub's. Boyne made a good effort to keep snow on the hill and I loved the atmosphere. I liked the whole "resort" feel. Though never treated badly or rudely I did have to engage the staff in conversation if I wanted to interact with them. Of course I can't imagine working the chair lift and would most likely run out of things to say myself.

Nub's was awesome. Tons of snow and warm weather. I found the staff pretty friendly and it's really geared to snowboarders. A huge terrain park, half pipe, and Super Pipe really were all well groomed and open. The only draw back was the younger snowboarders,with their "extreme" attitude. There were guys with stereos strapped to their backs cruising around and I ended up leaving the snowboard area after my 4th trip up the lift with 3 "radical" snowboarders behind me screaming the lyrics to some song they had made up or had stuck in there heads. All and all it was a good experience though.

I'm heading down for one more desperate run at Nub's this weekend. Trying out my new Burton Custom bindings. This should be it for the year.
danvaught

Re: Northern mich.'s best?

Postby DLSTEW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Nubs Nob is our favorite. Boyne Highlands across the road with that really long run is a close second. Nubs is the best though. They constantly groom the snow and the lines aren't bad, whenever we go anyway (usually night).
DLSTEW

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.