Ski the Porkies (da UP)

Talk about riding in the Midwest, and arrange meet-ups.

Ski the Porkies (da UP)

Postby canoer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:28 am

$99 season pass sale at Bohemia. Add Porcupine Mountain for a total of $131.

Mt Bohemia, complete with a video.

skitheporkies

Just need some snow now.
Last edited by canoer on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canoer

Re: Ski the Porkies (da UP)

Postby canoer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Finally got to the hill a week after it finally opened (was downstate so missed the opening). The view from the top reminds me of Mt. Alyeska in Girdwood AK. Minus the mountains. 8)

Maybe 8 to 12" of powder this morning, just slightly heavy but not grabby at all. Was going to lay off tomorrow but there's at least 3" that's fallen in the last couple of hours and it's still coming down.

Nice chair, if a bit slow, but it's a steady triple and didn't make me seasick like some older doubles and triples do. And my new $36 Rx goggles worked well. The blacks here would be blues back in Boise at Bogus Basin, and the blacks at Bogus would be blues at, oh, someplace like Targhee I suppose (never made it over there). The slope reminded me a bit of Donner Summit, but the area isn't as big nor as open. Skied worse.
canoer

Postby John2 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Good photos. Thanks. Yeah, it's kinda sorta like Alyeska, but I hope the snow wasn't hard pack, like it was when I was there in early March of last year.

I have a trip planned for Tahoe soon, so it will be great to be riding with some opportunities for water views. But I still haven't made it to the Porkies. Need to do that sometime.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby canoer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Generic pics from the net. :-)

It's been years since I skied Alyeska but it would be a lot more challenging than the Porkies in any condition.

It was a bit firm today and I chose to ride my stiffer Elan board. I've lost 30 pounds since I last rode this board and I wasn't popping the camber down enough I guess. Sore tonight from a few hard falls. After three runs, I switched back to my lighter, softer Inverse and stayed upright. Maybe I'll just try to sell the Answer.
canoer

Postby John2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 pm

When I was at Alyeska I was with a group of skiers from across the country. One guy from Philadelphia said that while we were there, we had "good eastern conditions." It did remind me of a few days that I spent at Loon Mountain, New Hampshire. I was hoping to get in some snowcat skiing, but they had such little snowfall in the previous few weeks that the cats weren't going.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby canoer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 am

"Such little snowfall". Sounds like around here currently. Pretty thin. I sold my spare board and wonder if I'll get another ride in this season.

The rumor mill is that the operator of the hill didn't want to run it this year, but failed to give the state park system sufficient notice to end the contract. People weren't thrilled with how it was run, so maybe someone else or a group can step in and make a go of it.
canoer

Postby runswithdog » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Hey Canoer and John2

glad to see you are still getting out there in the UP. The pics are fantastic.
How bad do you miss Boise and Bogus?

Colo conditions not great all winter long. Just now in last 2 weeks getting a few smaller dumps.
Monarch opened their black terrain very late this year, around mid to end of January.
They have no snow making at their resort and were behind on coverage.
They totally closed their Cat Ski operation this yr. due to poor coverage.

Big news for me is a broken lower leg.
Took a big "digger" in January-- with the board in a mogul/poor snow/ under new snow /area at Crested Butte.
Heard the crack , and there went my winter season.

Here's hoping you get some huge winter snow dumps before Spring appears.

r-w-d
runswithdog

Postby canoer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Bogus opened late too (latest ever opening in fact) and lost a lot of money. Lousy timing after just installing a new quad. They reduced pass prices to $179 for this year's pass holders to defray some of the pain. And yeah, I miss it. The local hill is okay and close. I'm not motivated to drive too far to ride, especially since my wife swore off sking after taking ~2 years for her broken leg to heal. Hope yours does better!

btw, I decided to sell my stiffer board - the one that had your bindings on it. Got some good use out of those Flows, thanks again.
canoer

Postby runswithdog » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:34 pm

yeah, I am thinking positive about the leg. I have a plate and 6 screws in the lower fibula.
It is going well so far, start in the walking boot next week and back to work.
Also start PT.
I have a dream of still being able to do a few
days at Arapahoe Basin in May. First I have to build up some calf muscle and range of motion.

hey, Canoer, I am just happy you got some use out of the Flows. After my leg incident though, I am wondering in the Flow bindings (instead of my Burtons) would have been better. A little more "give" than what I experienced. But with the degree of torque on the leg, it may have made no difference.
runswithdog

Postby canoer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 pm

I am wondering in the Flow bindings (instead of my Burtons) would have been better.

Ah, who knows. I broke my fibula (we're talking the small bone, right?) long ago with some sloppy fitting tele skis barely moving. Don't forget that Arnold (the Governator) broke his leg at Sun Valley just standing there all locked in with stiff gear.

My wife had a tib/fib, 12 screws and a rod. All the hardware was in the tibia. She had a great, very gentle, PT with a lot of hospital experience who helped interpret how she was doing, and she spent a lot of time on MyBrokenLeg.com.

She had an ACL repair on the same leg the year before and in hindsight should have stuck to the greens. Got overconfident in February. You may not want to aim for May - you have plenty of time next year. Then again, a ~70 year old friend of ours from yoga class broke her fibula biking in the Spring and is skiing this winter. Her break didn't require hardware though.

Meanwhile we're off on a road trip South, so there may not be much riding left when we get back in 3 weeks.
canoer

Postby runswithdog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:33 pm

yeah, just had my 6 week appt, and doc is not too keen on snowboarding in May. But she said that hiking in the mts. will be doable in June.
Onward and upward, now it is time to shop online for some good spring snowboard deals. :)
to get ready for next winter.
runswithdog

Postby canoer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm

The Porkies are under new management and everyone is hopeful the experience will be improved over the last concessionaire. The community college an hour away has a ski resort management curriculum and they've been running a small hill near their campus for years, and they won the bid to take over the operation (the state park owns the hill). At the ski swap last week, three twenty-somethings (shoot, they may have been still in their teens) were selling season passes. No paperwork; all done on the PC, right down to taking your photo with the webcam and printing out your pass while you wait. Well organized so that's a good sign.

The scuttlebutt is that they are going to add a rope tow to the top of the hill to enable easy traversing across the top to another set of runs. I'm not sure how easy I'll be able to manage that on my board, but it would open up a lot of treed areas.

We had 6" last week and then chinooky weather hit and it all melted. But the cold is back so hopefully the snow will start piling up soon.

Back in Idaho at my old local mountain, Bogus is hurting again this year. There's no snow up there and lessons are supposed to start 12/17. Other than Sun Valley, Grand Targhee and weekends at Schweitzer, nothing else seems to be open. Just like around the UP.

(How's the leg, Dog?)

http://www.porkiesfun.com/
canoer

Return to Regions: Midwestern U.S.