Rear Sliding Out

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

Rear Sliding Out

Postby kenshapiro2002 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Been out eight times so far, and made good progress thanks to great advice on here. A coupla questions that may be due to the same mistake.

#1. When I'm skating/gliding with my rear foot out of the binding, every time I try to turn (heel or toe), my a** end winds up sliding out of control and I do a 360. What am I doing to cause this?

#2. Even on my "S" curves, I'm tending to steer the nose uphill more and the a** end is always heading more downhill...skidding.
Ken
kenshapiro2002

skidding

Postby wyorider » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Ken, A couple of things could be causing your board to skid more than you would like it to. The position of your back hand and arm is probably most of it but not equalizing the pressure on your edge fore and aft(whichever edge you are turning on) will also do it. I fix this by bending my knees more and pushing my knees apart at the same time. Be sure you keep your back arm and hand behind you because on your heelside turn especially it will make you over extend your turn. Another thing that can cause your turn shape not be the way you want is where you are looking with your eyes and head. If you look uphill you will naturally follow your eyes.
jpwyo
wyorider

Postby SteveH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Great points from wyorider.

On sliding with your back foot out, the mistake I most often see is turning the shoulders to face the nose of the board. Once you do that, the tail wants to turn sideways and you find yourself spinning around.

To fix the problem:
Keep your shoulders parallel to the board. Imagine that you are riding with both feet strapped in and take the same stance.

Practice riding with the rear foot out. After you get off the lift ride for 20 or 30 yards with the back foot unstrapped. Make a couple of turns with the back foot loose. With a little practice you will soon find the pressure points that allow you to control the board with only one foot strapped.

If you have lingering doubts, scan the web for videos of people doing quarter pipe tricks with the back foot unstrapped. You can control the board with only one foot strapped.
SteveH

Postby bernwern » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Two excellent pieces of advice above.

Here's my input:

1) use a stomp-pad so your foot stays on the board. This will aid in turning when skating short distances, and in stopping. Once you have this down, you can go without a stomp-pad (I do, but I certainly would like one once in a while).

2) Weight your front foot. I put about 70-80% of my weight forward when skating, using board torsion to turn from my front foot only. Essentially, your back foot is just there to stabalize and to keep from draggin in the snow and slowing you down.

Hope this helps!

-B
bernwern

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride