What Do You Do On Green-circle Days?

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

What Do You Do On Green-circle Days?

Postby John » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:08 am

What do you do if you're on a green slope all day? Say you're with some people who are just starting out in snowboarding, they need some time to practice on easy slopes, and you want to hang out with them. What can you do to make the time more interesting if you're a more advanced rider?

I thought of a few things:

1. Teach your friends. During a couple of seasons taught through a ski school, but on occasions I teach friends free of charge.

2. Do movement analysis. That is, watch the other people on the hill, observe what they are doing, and decipher how their body movements (knees, ankles, shoulders, etc.) effect how they are riding. You can pick up some good "Don't do that" tips.

3. If you have a directional board (mine is a directional twin-tip), re-mount your bindings in the opposite direction so that if you have a regular stance, you use a goofy stance on the greens, and vice-versa.

4. If you have a true twin-tip board, ride so that you point the tail rather than the tip of your board down the hill. Do this even if you have a directional board, and you've got yet a different challenge.

(For readers waiting for the words "switch" or "fakie," here they are. I think that one word is used for remounting your bindings and the other word is for keeping your same binding stance but moving in the opposite direction. I forget which is which--and even an AASI level 3 instructor I know told me that he's forgotten which is which.)

5. Ride down the hill with only your front foot in the binding. This reinforces the idea that your front foot should be doing the steering.

6. Ride off the lift with your "open" binding leading the way. This will make getting off the chair lift more interesting.

7. Do some ollies and nollies.

8. Do some spins. (I'm not sure of the technical term, but I'm thinking of something I like to do, which is to do a 360 degree turn while doing downhill AND staying on the ground.) Do them backside and frontside.

9. Practice short-radius turns. Make them successively shorter so that you're nearly going with the fall line.

10. Practice slalom riding by using lift towers or imaginary spots in the snow.

11. Practice filming other people. Keeping your eye on a moving target while you are moving yourself is a challenge!

12. Ride on an ultra-short snowboard, such as the Rossignol Mini.

Naturally, you should attempt any of these only if you have adequate space and customer traffic allows. Remember the responsibility code.

So what do you think of the list? Please comment and add your own tricks.

Note that I'll probably turn my thoughts above into a blog entry (http://www.graysontrays.com/blog), and may incorporate some comments that you make.
John

Postby daysailer1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:58 pm

All the above are great ideas.

I have some others but, they are mainly for cert exams and you would never teach these in a class. If you are feeling bored:

- do pivot slips - they will help your bump riding tremedously

- try flex/extend exercises - flex down while riding: try to touch tip of board, tail of board, back of binding, front of binding -it improves your range of motion.

- toe to toe/ heel to heel turns (then try them with the 180 in the air)

-try a different turn - flex down at the start of your turn and then extend your legs throughout the turn

- funnel turns

- frontside 180's off toe-side edge -switch and regular,

-backside 180's

-switch carve - yeah, it exists. Carve that puppy switch.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Re: What do you do on green-circle days?

Postby PamelaDare » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:35 pm

What exactly is 'a green circle'? Iv'e seen this reference in a few articles but to date I am still somewhat unclear as to what it means.

Thanks.

P.

p.s. And if someone wants to tackle the definition of what sounds like the word "Bra" as said but some of our younger counterparts that , too, would be quite helpful.

:)
PamelaDare

Postby John » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 am

Pam, "green circle" is a shorthand for "easy-to-ride slopes." An advanced rider might find them a welcome time to rest, boring, or a time to play around with unusual or new ways of using the board. Hence the title of the post.

In the U.S., each ski area ranks its slopes/trails/pistes by a three color system.

Green circle = easiest (broader, flatter, perhaps devoid of trees, no moguls or bumps)
Blue square = intermediate level of difficulty (narrower, steeper, perhaps some trees)
Black diamond = advanced level of difficulty (still more narrow and steep, perhaps with trees or moguls)

With one or two exceptions, every ski area ranks its terrain this way. The ranking is relative to that area, so a black diamond at one area may only merit a blue square elsewhere.

Some ski areas have trails with two black diamonds, indicating yet another level of difficulty--perhaps involving cliffs or hidden (but accessible) dangers such as buried logs. In Colorado, the law even specifies an "Extreme" version of this, marked by two diamonds and the words "EX." The law calls out standards for the degree of steepness or size of the cliff. It is an exception to the rule that trail ratings are relative, in that it sets for the state a universal definition.

In Europe, I believe they substitute "red" for "blue," or perhaps use red as an additional rank of difficulty, either (I forget) more or less difficult than blue.

Hope that helps.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby SteveH » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 am

In Colorado: "Extreme terrain" means any place within the ski area boundary that contains cliffs with a minimum twenty-foot rise over a fifteen-foot run, and slopes with a minimum fifty-degree average pitch over a one-hundred-foot run.

So, in Colorado, a 15 foot drop ain't a cliff and a 45 degree pitch isn't extreme. That's why I stay away from the signs with the EXs on them.
SteveH

Postby PamelaDare » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:56 pm

It was simple enough; why I did not see it earlier I could not say.

Thanks.
PamelaDare

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride