New board, new pains

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

New board, new pains

Postby DaveloMA » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi, all. I got a new board this season (an Atomic Cold Smoke 157). It has a set-back stance (1") where my old board was centered. It's stiffer all-around than my previous board, especially torsionally. I set up the bindings as they were on my old board, duck -15/+15. I ride regular.

I've been on the board three days now, a total of about, oh, 20 hours, give or take. Initiating toe-side turns feels fine, but on heelside, I find I really have to work the board, so much so that after a few runs, I develop a knot in the top upper portion of my right (rear leg) quadracep. (About where my hand falls when standing.)

I'm trying to understand whether this is just tired old legs getting used to a stiff board, or if perhaps the stance (too wide, maybe?) I set up created a rearward bias.

Rather than just go off and adjust things (highback, stance, angle, etc.) randomly, I'd like to approach the fix with some methodology.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Thanks!
David
DaveloMA

Postby bernwern » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Two things going on here, from what I can tell.

1) board stiffness is a factor. It takes more weight or muscle to torsion a stiffer board, so that definately is impacting your leg.

2) Stance from your old centered twin to a 1" setback is also a factor. Since your front foot is not where it usually was, that leg can't flex the board like it used to....but your back leg can, just with more pressure due to board stiffness.

I suggest moving the front binding 1 set of insets forward for a wider stance, but also centering you more. If this is uncomfortable, and it likely will be slightly so to start, move both bindings forward.

-B
bernwern

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Good ideas from bernwern.

If the heelside turns are still a struggle after moving the bindings, my next thought would be to increase the forward lean on the highbacks. This can have a huge impact on heelside turns by applying torsional pressure on the board with less leg movement. This can be especially helpful on a stiff board because you have more strength early in the range of motion than at the max extension. Just be careful not to overdo it or you'll have cramps in both legs from riding with too much knee bend!

I was demoing a board this weekend that felt great to the toeside but just didn't want to engage on the heelside. I had to stop for 3 forward lean adjustment (ended up three quarters of the way to max) before I got it right. Then the heelside turns worked beautifully.

SteveH
SteveH

Board Break-in

Postby debor_jim » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Dave. These are great suggestions from the others, but there is one more thing you have to remember. Every board needs to be broken in. Boards will relax with age and use. The more you use it the less-stiff it will be. My eight-year-old Super Model is much more of a noodle than a brand new one. Good luck.
debor_jim

Postby dcdrumrider70 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm

A few things ...

1) 1" setback should not be a problem. A lot of boards are designed that way. It may feel a little different from your centered board but shouldn't be 20 hrs worth of different. You mention a rear bias, is your wider stance biased towards the tail? If so maybe push each binding up one hole pattern and do a little carpet riding.

2) Check to make sure your boot is laterally (edge to edge) centered on the board. Is the board any wider/narrower then your old one? If so you give it a look.

3) Rider faster. Stiff boards are designed to hold edge at speed.
dcdrumrider70

Postby SteveH » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:13 pm

dcdrumrider70 wrote:Check to make sure your boot is laterally (edge to edge) centered on the board. Is the board any wider/narrower then your old one? If so you give it a look.

Excellent point. I once had a board set up in a demo shop with a small but noticeable shift of the binding toward the toeside. Gave me fits on the heelside turn.

You have to check with your boots in the bindings to see how the spacing will work. If your feet happen to be in the boots at the time, you may need a buddy to check the spacing for you as it can be hard to tell standing on the board.

SteveH
SteveH

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride