Pain From Forward Lean

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

Pain From Forward Lean

Postby ric4003 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:47 pm

When I increase the amount of forward lean on my bindings the slightest amount I experience a pain in my lower legs and feet that make my boots unbearable to wear after one short run. Any suggestions on what might be the cause or how I can remedy the situation? Thanks.
ric4003

Postby hookster » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:21 pm

As you increase forward lean it makes you bend your knees more which can be a strain to your leg muscles if you're not used to it. You mentioned pain in the feet also, are you having boot fit issues? Also, some bindings like Burton Cartels for example already have a good bit of forward lean to them before you even add any with the adjuster. For now I'd just back off the forward lean adjustment to where you're comfortable.
hookster

Forward lean.

Postby ric4003 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks Hookster. In response to your possible causes:
-No boot issues. My boots have an awesome fit and are very comfortable.
-Amount of lean- Im talking about just 1 notch from the original setting and there's pain.

Could it be that I am tying my boots too tight?
ric4003

Postby John » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm not skilled in biomechanics, but it seems really weird that you're getting increased pain in both your feet and your shins. I can see foot pain from having your boots too tight, but I'm not sure how increasing the forward lean would cause a problem.

Where does it hurt in your feet? Toes, heel, in-between?
John

Postby bernwern » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I think you getting pain in the leg and foot is from your boot, not the lean. When adjusting lean, your calves and quads usually burn a bit until your body gets used to it. If your feet and leg hurt as you describe, I am guessing you wear a stiff boot and it does not like to lean with the binding, which causes the pain.

Try lacing them a bit looser and see if that helps. If it does, and you like the lean, look at getting BOA boots next time.....they act more as a suspension system than laces and thus have more flex while maintaining their support.

-B
bernwern

Postby SteveH » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:42 pm

Here's an out of the box thought. If you are using your calf and ankle muscles a lot to support your weight the increased forward lean will stress them even more, perhaps causing the pain you describe.

Try relaxing your calves and ankles into your boots and bindings so that the equipment is supporting your weight more than your lower leg. Ideally, you want the big muscles of your quads to be bearing most of the weight and not the relatively smaller muscles of the lower leg. By using your boots/bindings as a fulcrum for your lower leg, you can lever the effort up to the stronger quads.

Increased forward lean is going to increase the stress on whatever muscles are bearing the load because you are unstacking the long bones of the leg by forcing more knee bend.

Steve
SteveH

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride