Binding angles

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

Binding angles

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:10 am

Hi everyone- Has anyone here ever tried riding with BOTH bindings at zero degrees? In other words, with both feet perpendicular to the axis of the board. I seem to remember that one of the pros rides this unconventional configuration, and it seems to me it makes a lot of sense if you are going to spend much time riding fakie. I'm worried, though, that it's going to be a pain to skate in the lift line with your forward foot at 0 degrees. What do you think? Rob
Rob

Postby hookster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:19 pm

It does seem like skating would be a little more difficult. Here's a link that goes into good detail about stance and angles.

http://legacy.cs.uu.nl/daan/snow/stance.html
hookster

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:57 am

Hi Hook... thanks for the link. I've read the whole thing twice and plan to experiment (though not with 0/0) when the snow flies. Rob
Rob

Postby hookster » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:04 pm

Hey Rob,
I rode my first couple seasons duck stance (+15/-6) then tried a forward stance (+21/+6)and really liked it. Then last season I got heavily into rails and boxes and switchd back to duck (+15/-9) to make boardslides and fakie easier. Anyway, It's fun to try out different options. All we need now is some snow.
hookster

Postby PamelaDare » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:09 pm

I am loathe to admit this ...I still have yet to adjust my bindings. I just had the young woman put them on and after a bit of shushing this way and that she determined that my stance with so and the width likewise.

It felt alright--but now I am wondering.

In simple english: what is the standard stance position and why is it so?

Thanks.
PamelaDare

Postby John » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Not exactly answering your question, but here's a link to a prior discussion:

http://graysontrays.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=41

By the way, I'm moving this to a different forum.
John

Postby bernwern » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:53 am

My advice on binding angles: do what feels comfortable to start. Ride that way until you are very confident and comfortable.

After that you can start tweaking. I spent several years riding about +18/0. I tried duck stance later and loved the added stability, but I feel like I lose power in some carves that I need to muscle, so I switched back. Last year I tried all forward lean, but not sure what angles; this was fun, but riding fakie was hard, as well as recovery from near spills. In the end I am back to my original stance of +18/0.

Just do what feels best!

-B
bernwern

Postby SteveH » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:09 pm

PamelaDare wrote:
In simple english: what is the standard stance position and why is it so?

As is probably apparent from the discussion and the excellent article link, there isn't a standard stance. Virtually everyone uses some positive angle on the front foot and the back foot can have anything from a sigificant postive angle to a smaller negative angle (toes toward the back of the board). So the typical choice are forward stance (both postive angles) and duck (front positive, back negative).

Some people find it easier to ride facing forward as they don't have to twist as much, but it tends to be harder to ride switch that way. Duck is ideal for switch riding because your "front" foot is always pointing down the hill.

I started forward (about +21/+6) then went to duck (+15/-15) in an effort to improve my switch riding. It seems to have worked as I am much more comfortable riding switch now. (The practice may have had something to do with it)

So buy a little binding tool and keep it in your pocket so you can try out different angles while you ride. (It's also handy to have for emergency adjustment to straps, repairs etc.). It takes me less than 5 minutes to unscrew the binding plates, shift the binding angle and screw it back together. There are markings in 3 degree increments to show you the angle you are selecting. When you no longer feel the urge to tweak the setting, you're probably at the right spot.

Steve
SteveH

Postby dcdrumrider70 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:02 am

Experiment with different binding settings until you find your happy zone.

For me, day in day out riding I use +15/-6.

On those great powder days I will offset the bindings and change the angle from +21/0, keep that same 21 degree width/separation as with the duck stance, but in a more forward stance for powder (helps float the board better for me).

I used to go +15/-15 but the outside of my rear knee was getting some aches so I toned that down and -6 is nice.
dcdrumrider70

Postby hookster » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:39 pm

I also had problems with my knee on my rear leg after increasing my duck stance to +15/-15 this season so I went back to +15/-9 and my knee seems to like that better. Powder days I switch to +21/+6
hookster

Instructor's take on "extreme" duck

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:31 pm

A few months ago I took a lesson with my board set up duck. My instructor looked at it before the lesson said it looked like +15 -15, which it was, and which he characterized as "extreme" duck. This guy was a college coach somewhere in New England, and he specializes in teaching adults. He said that at my age (61) my knees would probably like something less extreme and he recommended +9 -9 if I wanted to stay symmetric. So this is consistent with several of the posts in this thread.
Rob

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride