"No-Fall Snowboarding" ... reviews? Comments?

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

Postby MunkySpunk » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:12 pm

If I may be so bold: PamelaDare. You just need to get out there and go for it. You've posted a lot of topics about wanting to know about safety gear, exercises, techniques, how to get off the chair lift, and asked for advice all over the place... This is obviously very important to you, and I don't blame you - it's a ton of fun.

But get out on the slope and take your knocks, really. You WILL fall. You will fall HARD. It will hurt when you fall, there's nothing you can do about it other than some pads and other body protection. But at the end of the day, nobody can tell you how to board better than your own trial and error. I just took my wife boarding at Caberfae this past weekend for her first time. I got her two private lessons in two days and she feels like she's been hit by a train. Did she fall? h*ll yes. Did it hurt? You better believe it. She was ready to throw in the towel after the first lesson, she couldn't even come to a stop without falling. But by the end of the second lesson, she could do the falling leaf toe-side and heel-side without falling - much. She's sore... really sore. But the bruises will heal. She's so bruised, she's not going back out on the slope till next week as a result, but she had the time of her life and she can't wait to get back at it. I found her looking on Ebay for her own equipment today she's so excited.

You just need to suck it up, get out there, and take your lumps like 99.9999% of snowboarders have. Knowing you're going to fall is intimidating... you know it's going to hurt.. but you have to do it anyway. You fall, you pick yourself up, and you try it again until you get it. You've prepared, more than adequately, but preparation will only take you so far.

Are you willing to take some hits? If not, you might ask yourself how important it really is to you. Apologies if I've offended.
MunkySpunk

Postby BoardBroad » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Ouch.
I think it's normal for the older set to overanalyze and prep for new, daring things. Personally, I'm glad she's asked some of the questions I wanted answers to. Based on many of her posts, most of her friends ski, so this board seems to be a supportive and a previously *safe* environment to ask these 'petty' details.

"shut up and take your lumps" is a bit rude.
First we eat, then we do everything else.
BoardBroad

Postby John » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:25 pm

I'll say this .. I've met MunkySpunk. Based on my time with him, which consisted of some talking and some riding, I'd say he's definitely not one of those punks that you sometimes find on other sites.

I like your point, BoardBroad, about older adults overanalyzing things. I don't know if all or even most of them do, but I'm certainly one who does. (Heck, it's how I started this site! I wanted to think about riding before I got much into doing it.)

Would I have chosen some different language? Probably. But I agree with the larger message that at some point you need to go out there and be willing to get knocked down by the snow snakes.

When I was starting to ride, one song on my musical rotation during workouts had the following lines.

-----------

I'm not afraid to fall
it means I climbed up high
to fall is not to fail
you fail when you don't try
not afraid to fall
I might just learn to fly and
I will spread these wings of mine

Chorus:
If I get up I might fall back down again
so let's get up anyway (repeat several times)

We'll just jump and see,
even if it's the 20th time
we'll just jump and see if we can fly

-------------

This helped me be hopeful, and be maniacal, as in "I WILL learn how to do this."

Other people may have an easier time of it. We each have our own rate of growth into the sport, though each point of growth does require reaching "just this much" outside the comfort zone.
John

Postby SteveH » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:56 pm

When I want to really get beat up, I do my "other job". I'm a divorce lawyer. I've spent a lot of time thinking about and experimenting with helping people deal with change and challenge. The main lesson I've come away with is that there is huge variety in how people learn and cope with stressful situations. Some folks thrive on "just doing it", others simply aren't comfortable if they haven't prepared for every contingency they can imagine. To a certain extent, "preparers" get a large degree of of their satisfaction out of the study and preparation for the activity.

PamelaDare's questions are relevant and intelligent. From her posts, she does go out on the hill and put the theory into practice. I for one hope she feels comfortable continuing to ask anything she feels will help her.

Steve
SteveH

Postby MunkySpunk » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:15 am

BoardBroad wrote:Ouch.
"shut up and take your lumps" is a bit rude.

Woah woah woah... Don't go overboard there. I wasn't telling her to stop posting or asking questions. My tone (which is not conveyed by text, mind you) was completely misinterpreted. I'm sure a lot of people have gotten a lot of good advice by reading the replies to her questions... myself included. We're not snowpunks here.. that's why this site exists. Please, keep asking questions.

It's my opinion that anxiety and nervousness are good... to a degree. But don't let your fear of falling overwhelm you and stop you from pushing yourself, it will just hinder you in the end. Push yourself... your butt will heal. I found while I was learning that I'm still a lot more durable than I thought. Just don't break anything. I guess that's what I was trying to say in a tough-love sort of way. Sorry.

But please, keep posting!!! I beg you! :D :D :D
MunkySpunk

Previous

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride