Getting Air

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

Postby jason ang » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:35 pm

Gosh I wanna do air badly now!!!!! Unfortunately the snow has not arrived yet. Darn and one would think Canada is perpetualy covered in snow. Thanks Al Gore!
jason ang

help on land front side 180

Postby quabit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi all been awhile since I posted last but had a question on jumps. I started doing small kickers approx 10ft-15ft high last year and continued this year. I am landing fine when just going straight up and over. Sometime I can even get these ol bones bent over enough to for a grab. Every year I set a new goal and for 2008 its 180's. I finaly got the nerve up enough today to try it (the fear was all in my head) HOWEVER Im having problems staying up while landing. I get the rotation I need and my board is positioned correctly when I land but I notice that my weight upon landing is on the back foot and I wash out shortly after landing. I thought it might be that I am not used to riding switch but I do ride switch every now and then. Im not great at it but can ride it. Does anyone have advise for landing switch that might help.
quabit

Postby Markswitch » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Maybe this will help. Try doing a 180 on the regular slopes without the aid of a jump. The easiest way is to start on your toeside, going about 45 degrees across the mountain. SInce you are on your toes, you can really jump without losing your balance. Look for little bumps or hills, and do a quick little frontside 180 at the crest. You really have to jump, though, since the hill won't do it for you. These are not that hard. In fact I can't do a 180 on a regular jump (those jumps scare me, though I'm trying to overcome it), but I do dozens of them on the regular ol slopes each time out, though they do tire my aging muscles out pretty quickly. I think if you do this, you'll get used to landing switch. Bring the landing all the way around so you end up on toeside going across the mountain the opposite way from which you started.

Also, sounds like you should put more time into riding fakey, Just do it a lot. It's a good way to rest, since it stress different muscles.

Now, what tips do you have for gaining the courage to keep your speed up heading into those kickers? That's what I need help in.
Markswitch
Markswitch

Jumps

Postby quabit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:12 am

Thanks for the info, I will work on doing more 180's on the slopes and getting used to the landings. I do do them but at a slower speed so I will try taking them faster maybe it will help.

As far a getting the courage for jumps off kickers I started out just going slow. Riding up and then down over the knuckle just to get used to the ramp and speed leading up to it. Doing this you will find youself over the course of the day gaining more speed into the jumps and thus catching air. You can do it. Its more in you head then anything else. One note though after you start catching higher air you want to make sure you clear the knuckle and land on the slope because your landing will be smoth without all the bone jarring. To do that you need speed up to and pop off the lip but trust me the landing is soooo much better even if you loose it.
quabit

wanna get air?

Postby Snowride » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 pm

I was reading some of the old posts in here and I'm afraid I don't agree with some folks, those who say to just try a small jump first etc. I think WAY before attempting to do a jump, there are a million exercises you have to do to get ready. First, getting used to being centered on your board is a good one. To do that, first find a flat hill, you could ride switch, make 360 turns (without getting any air) GROUND 360s both ways (clockwise and counter-clockwise) Then, when you feel comfortable with that, try doing a little hop when you are traversing on you heel side, then do the same when you are traversing on your toe edge. Then after you practice that for a few weeks, then try to pop off your tail and hop with the board, especially when you come across a little bump on the hill. After you feel comfortable with all that (it may take all season!) then go over a jump but don't jump. Just check it out. Then, when you feel ready, go over the jump by doing a little hop at the top of it. Contrary to some of the recommendations here on the postings, I don't recommend approaching the jump fast at first. You have to find your comfort zone. It's a progressive thing. All the above may take you 10 - 20 days of practice. I will try to write another post about preparation for jumps. . .this is getting kinda long. . Sorry.
I'm a snowboarding grandma approaching 60. Got a place at Bear Valley California and would love to hang with others like me.
Snowride

Re: wanna get air?

Postby John » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:26 am

Snowride wrote:first find a flat hill, you could ride switch, make 360 turns (without getting any air) GROUND 360s both ways (clockwise and counter-clockwise)
What's the difference between a 360 turn and a ground 360?
John

air

Postby quabit » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:05 am

John I think what SnowRide is saying in the Ground 360 is to not get any air but rotate you board 360 deg by allowing the back to continue to spin around until it is completed. Think back to when you first started to learning turns. Sometimes the back of your board would slide around during a turn thus becoming the new front ie. 180 deg. Since you were still learning you would weight the "new" front foot and ride off switch, stop, or fall down since you were still learning turns. In the case of ground 360's once the back slides around becoming the new front your would weight the "new" front foot and again allow the back to slide around until the 360 is completed. No air needed.

Snowride If I was incorrect please correct me.

In my case I have no problems doing this and since my last post have spent days just riding switch so that I am more comfortable with it. I also watch a few instructional videos and have figured out my problem. In my case it is not landing switch that was the problem. The problem I had was I was still uncoiling well after I landed and thus throwing myself off balance. For me it was just practice practice practice and getting the right amount of coil to complete the 180 but not so much as to over due it.
quabit

reply to quabit

Postby Snowride » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Yeah quabit (what a weird user name. . . I am curious what it means!) You said it right. I meant NOT Air 360 but Ground 360! Gotta work up to all this. I can do a straight jump where I suck up my legs at the top but I can't do an air 180. I can barely hop from a flat surface and do a 180. I think my bones are made of lead. You really gotta wind up before you get air to do a 180 or 360.
I'm a snowboarding grandma approaching 60. Got a place at Bear Valley California and would love to hang with others like me.
Snowride

Previous

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride