Halfpipe Riders?

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

Halfpipe Riders?

Postby John » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:37 pm

Anyone out there do halfpipe riding? I don't do much. But I would advise anyone interested in trying it out to see if you can take a lesson. It's different enough from regular riding that it may take some words of wisdom from a more experienced rider who can also give you a critique of what's going on.

Last weekend I was in a pipe clinic. One thing that I was told to work on was riding more "horizonatally" up the wall. That is, try (ha ha) to be more horizontal to the floor of the pipe: imagine that you've got supersticky shoes and are walking up a wall in your house. Do you think you would do very well walking up that wall if you kept trying to keep your head close to the wall, and standing as if you were on the floor? No, but that's a natural inclination as you try riding up a wall.

Another point that the clinic leader made: when you're starting out as a pipe rider, don't work your edges too much. For most of your ride, your board should be flat.

Well, this session didn't make me a strong pipe rider, and I still fear going higher than maybe 4 feet high (and that may be overstating it). But it does present some variety, and if riding has gone into automatic pilot, it's a way to get you thinking again.
John

horizontal?

Postby Tucker » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:51 pm

John,

Did you mean vertical? I can see using the board more flat if you are going to go up and down the walls in more of a horizontal manner without catching air but to catch air aren't you going vertical?
Tucker

Postby John » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:13 pm

Hmm, the goal of the clinic was definitely NOT to teach us to go out of the pipe just yet. Rather, it was getting more comfortable riding up the side of the wall, making a turn, and then sliding back down.

It's hard to describe, of course, but what I meant to say is that as you go up the wall, what you do not want to do -- at least what we did not want to do at this point -- is to ride UP the wall and yet still pretty much be standing up, parallel TO the wall.

Let's try a little ASCII art. Here's an exaggerated picture of what the rider (xxxxx) should look like as he is halfway up the wall (yyyy) with the floor of the pipe (zzzzz) beneath him. (The dots are there just to align the picture properly.)

.........y
.........y
...xxxxx
.........y
.........y
....zzzzz

The idea, if I recall, is that by going this way, your turns will come easier, since your board will be flat against the pipe wall, and not digging into it.
John

ok

Postby Tucker » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:31 pm

I think I understand better now. Last week at our hill we practised the same kind of thing going through a small race course with steeply banked turns. I found that once in the turn you could ride with it and you were up the bank and almost parallel to the ground. The only thing I was not expecting was the slingshot effect coming out, very fast, but very much fun. Thanks for your clarification.
Tucker

Postby nade » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:16 pm

aren t you supposed to go up on the edge and as you approach the vert flatten your board out? that makes me turn naturally, without having to adjust. so it comes down as this
Bottom of the pipe- flat, small edge adjustments
Transition- Riding on the edge so you being pulled towards the vert
Vert- flatten your board and pop
nade

Postby Markswitch » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:09 am

Up until last spring, all I did on the pipe was just swish my way through turns on both sides, going 1/4 of the way up each wall, with no air at all. But last March, on a huge superpipe at Whiteface in Lake Placid, NY, I did my first little jump-turn, and the whole world of halfpipes changed! So, for me, the key is the little jump turns. They let you go up and down the walls so much easier, maintain your speed very nicely, and d***!!, it's so much fun. So far this year, given the crappy weather, I haven't gotten to try a pipe. But they're up now at the bigger Vermont mountains, and my plan is to get a couple of days in, then plunk down some money for an official pipe lesson.
Markswitch
Markswitch

Postby Kecht06 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:56 pm

John wrote:Hmm, the goal of the clinic was definitely NOT to teach us to go out of the pipe just yet. Rather, it was getting more comfortable riding up the side of the wall, making a turn, and then sliding back down.

It's hard to describe, of course, but what I meant to say is that as you go up the wall, what you do not want to do -- at least what we did not want to do at this point -- is to ride UP the wall and yet still pretty much be standing up, parallel TO the wall.

Let's try a little ASCII art. Here's an exaggerated picture of what the rider (xxxxx) should look like as he is halfway up the wall (yyyy) with the floor of the pipe (zzzzz) beneath him. (The dots are there just to align the picture properly.)

.........y
.........y
...xxxxx
.........y
.........y
....zzzzz

The idea, if I recall, is that by going this way, your turns will come easier, since your board will be flat against the pipe wall, and not digging into it.

Huh ? I did my best to figure this out John, and to be honest, whether i looked straight or from the side it didn't register at all ha ha ha ha

I am not a pipe guy, and the only time i am in there, i ride the sides like a big wave and not how they are designed to ride, and sorry to say, I may just not be smart enough to learn... Ha hA
And Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.
Kecht06

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride