Camber and Carving

Problems making turns? Riding switch? Looking to get air for the first time (on purpose)? Ask these and other questions here. If there's a more specific forum, please ask there.

Camber and Carving

Postby Rob2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Lots of new true-twin boards are being brought to market with "reverse" camber. Many of you regularly carve your turns (which remains my personal goal) and I'm wondering if any of you have tried the reverse camber (aka rocker) boards. If so, how would you rate them for carving? Thanks. Rob

PS Just to be precise, by "carving" I mean only this: making turns on edge in such a way that my edge goes around the turn as if it was, in SteveH's words, "on rails."
Rob2

Re: Camber and Carving

Postby IdahoRider » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Hey Rob;

I will be interested to hear what others have to say, as I have been intrigued by the idea of "rocker" or reverse camber also. The mags are full of it this season! My snowboard instructor last winter really liked the reverse camber board he had tried and he also really liked the magna trak edge. To me they both look 'gimmicky' but I have no experience with either so I don't know. After 6 decades as a consumer in America, though, I am pretty skeptical about any "latest and greatest" thing that comes along...I have become the kind of guy that holds back a few years before diving in. Anyway, what I hear about these boards are that they are "floaty" and "surfy" in powder and turn easy in those conditions. Does this mean they will chatter on the groomers and the hardpack?? I don't know.

I think that as far as carving goes, how easy it is to get a board up on its edge is probably more a function of technique and sidecut than rocker or camber.

I look forward to input from those with experience. Thanks for starting this thread.
Ed
aka IdahoRider
aka G.O.A.T. (Gray On A Tray)
Sandpoint, ID
IdahoRider

Postby John2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Here's a discussion from past seasons about these boards:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=593

Poke around in the "boards" forum and you may find others. After a short time I'll move this new thread over to that forum.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby Rob2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Oh man!
I'm clearly not running with the right crowd... I had no Idea that reverse camber (or rocker) = banana.
Thanks, John. That thread from the Boards forum is really helpful.
Rob
Rob2

Return to Techniques and Learning to Ride