Swivler--let you rotate front foot parallel to board

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Swivler--let you rotate front foot parallel to board

Postby John P » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Has anyone used a "swivler"? It is a rotational devise that mounts under your binding of your front foot. It allows you to rotate your front foot parallel to the board while skating or in the lift line and then rotate back to the riding position when ready to ride. The one thing that is difficult for me is skating with my front foot at a 90 degree angle to the direction I am traveling. Bad knees is one of the reasons I am snowboarding instead of skiing. I am considering buying a Swilver and wanted to see if anyone has experience with this device.
John P

Postby John » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:44 am

Interesting concept ... Here's a very brief intro from the company web site:
http://www.swivler.com/how.asp

I put my front binding at 20 degrees. As a secondary benefit, it helps a bit with skating, which has not been too much of a problem for me. I've got to spend some money on other things (like a new pair of gloves) just yet anyway. I would be even more interested in something to totally eliminate the need to bend over to secure bindings; I use Flows, which minimize the problem to begin with--load foot, lean over, pull up one lever and you're done.

Still, I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has used swivlers.
John

Postby zip » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:02 pm

Hey John P
Did you ever buy the swivler? Does it really work? I would be afraid it would release while riding and cause a major crash.
zip

swilver

Postby nineball81007 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:49 pm

geesh, cant wait to buy one for me, looks like a cool concept,yeehaw,,,nineball
THanks Todd
nineball81007

Postby Rod Smith » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:18 pm

You would have to pay me to use one of those.
Rod Smith

Postby John P » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:07 pm

zip wrote:Hey John P
Did you ever buy the swivler? Does it really work? I would be afraid it would release while riding and cause a major crash.

I never did buy one but am keeping my options open. I will be sure to provide a review if I do.
John P

Swivler User

Postby Got2ramble » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:49 pm

This is my third season using the swivler. So I have over 60 sessions, at least 600 runs worth of experience with them. I have experienced 4 failures in that time, mainly (3 times) having it not latch in to my riding angle. Only one time did I experience it coming unlatched while turning. During this time period I have also experienced a binding disc cracking so the binding was lifting off the board while I was turning. The failures usually came apparent during a run when turning heel side so I just sat down. I rode switch to get down the mountain. I took it apart to find out what was the cause of the failure and determined that the latching lever and slot had become worn to the point that the lever would pop out of the slot when going heel side on it.
Do I like them still? I LOVE them .. the benefits in my opinion far out weigh the few failures I have experienced with them. Skiers love to ride the lift with me. I usually have 60 degrees on them for skating and rotate to 15 for riding. Leaving some angle allows you to still pressure the edge. Follow exactly the manufactors instructions on how to mount and lubricate them. I destroyed the plastic on several of them last season because I used the wrong kind of lubricant. I did some base plate switching so I didn't lose the use of them. When I go to the mountain I take 4 boards with me all set up .. all have the swivler on all of them and wouldn't think about riding without them .. well only as a last resort would I ride without them. Oh last season, I put them both on the front and back foot which allowed me to play around with my stance angle in real time so to speak plus I could change my back foot from a negative to positive angle on the hill depending on how I wanted to ride the current snow conditions. My knees thank me every time I skate. It is so much easier.
Got2ramble

Postby alchook » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:53 pm

The thing weighs a full pound.
alchook

Postby Got2ramble » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:11 pm

I love it when someone is trying to save a few onces of weight on the their board and they weight over 150, 180,190, over 200 pounds.
Got2ramble

Postby alchook » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:25 pm

Burton's Vapor costs $230 more than their next most expensive board.

Main selling point is that it's a pound lighter.
alchook

Postby Got2ramble » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:32 am

It's called marketing ... for those who don't want to strenght train I guess a lighter board is their quest ...
Got2ramble

Postby DMC » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:14 am

One failure is one too many in my opinion...

I only buy bombproof bindings.... I've seen binding failures in really bad places before... Not pretty...
DMC

Postby alchook » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:36 pm

Got2ramble wrote:It's called marketing ... for those who don't want to strength train I guess a lighter board is their quest ...

I don't think it's all marketing. Regardless of one's level of fitness it seems that a lighter board can be manipulated more efficiently.

I don't understand the physics involved. However, I do know that when my sainted mother was alive she told me that after her chain gang switched from eight pound sledgehammers to seven pound sledgehammers she and her fellow inmates could break rock far more effectively. As a result, the prison was able to lengthen the work day from 13 hours to 14 hours despite cutting back on the ration of rancid pig fat they were fed.

It was a classic win-win situation.
alchook

Thanks got2ramble

Postby John P » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:48 pm

Got2ramble-
thank you for the input. After my first time out this season I think that I am going to make the investment. Your reply is about what I expected. This thing isn't perfect but it is a lot better that flopping around like a fish out of water. Maybe my inability to skate is due to my own shortcomings but it remains a problem on my cranky knees after several surgical procedures. I have no difficulty going down hill, its flats and lift lines that take all the fun out of the day. I am willing to risk the occasional failure to make skating easier.
John P

Return to Gear: General