Review: Monster iEZclick

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Review: Monster iEZclick

Postby bernwern » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks to Munkyspunk for the recommendation. Here is a copy and paste from my review on sb.com:

Product link: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3714

So at the advice of another snowboarder on a different site's forum, I decided to get one (or 12) of these things. I got a steal on ebay, so that helped cut cost tremendously....check there first if you want to buy one.

Upon receiving mine, I immediately swapped the pre-mounted belt-clip for the arm-strap. Read the directions, as it is tricky, plus takes some finger strength. It comes with the battery. My intent was to bury my ipod in my jacket and leave it there while using the controls from my arm. I rode the past 4 days using it, in temps ranging from 10-25°F.....and my ipod was in a shell jacket with minimal/no insulation, so subtract another 5° for wind-chill when riding.

Controls: Easy to use, even with gloves. I am huge, so I wear size XL gloves and I could still hill all the buttons, including sliding the control lock. It may work with mittens if you are good with your thumb.

Function: works great with regular ipods (or any that have the same port as an ipod classic). One of my coworkers bought one from me and it works with both his ipod touch and iphone. Simply plug the receiver into the ipod while it is in a playlist (you only have skip, play/pause, and volume controls).

Durability: I have tested this on the slopes for roughly 20 hours. The receiver works fine and I had no issues. Same goes for the transmitter (controls). It is all encased very nicely in plastic with heavy-duty rubber surround and controls. Looks water-resistant but likely not water-proof. The transmitter did get blasted by the snow-makers when i rode through them and the resulting ice-coating crumbled and wiped away easily.

Battery Life: two parts to review:

-ipod: If you use one, you don't need your screen (which draws the most power from the ipod during normal use). Turn the backlight completely off and reduce the brightness to its lowest setting. By doing this, my battery never got lower than it did during normal use and may have actually saved battery life. Also, lock the controls on the ipod, as you only want them coming from the transmitter.

-transmitter: I initially strapped it to my forearm, but quickly realized the exposure to the wind from riding helped chill the battery too low; I would get to the bottom of the lift and the controls would either not function or would lag. I solved this by moving it to my upper arm near my armpit and simply sliding it underneath to avoid so much air contact; this solved the problem and I have been fine since. Basically, it operates off a battery like in your key-fob for wireless door locks, and temperature kills it (like any battery).

Drawbacks: in the instructions it explains how to change the channel they use to avoid interference. I ordered 12, and we can not avoid interference no matter how much we have tried. We have noticed that they only have a range of about 12-15', so it is not a huge issue unless you are using it on a chairlift with another user. More of an annoyance than anything else.

Overall, this is a great product. It functions smoothly and easily, seems durable and reliable, and was pretty cheap (thanks to ebay). If you can avoid interference with other users, you will be extremely happy (assuming you heed my advice on how to conserve ipod and transceiver battery lives).

BernWern rating: 4/5

-B
Ride now, work later!
All work and no play is totally missing the point.
bernwern

Postby MrEMan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 am

Very cool suggestion ... thanks for the tip and the recommendation.
MrEMan

Return to Gear: General