It's not the helmet but the head inside it

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

It's not the helmet but the head inside it

Postby leftcoast larry » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:27 pm

I've decided to buy a helmet. [Please redirect any "helmets are for fools and wimps" responses elsewhere.] The question I have is - "how do I cut through the crap to get to the core of what's best/appropriate?"

I've checked lots of sites, read a bunch of reviews (and - last season - directed questions to helmeted boarders.) My efforts have yielded a variety of divergent recommendations; from get the cheapest to make sure it works with headphones to try it on first 'cause if it doesn't fit you won't wear it.

So fellow grays share your experience(s) and recommendations please ...
leftcoast larry

Postby runswithdog » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey LL

don't do headphones when I ride, so that's out for my decision...
Since you do your share of "spring" type riding in CA, I would suggest one with at least 5 or 6 vents on top (or more). Some helmets have a "slider bar" for opening and closing the vents.

That said, here's how I selected mine. I went to local large store, and tried on everything. At least 10 helmets.
I bought the one that felt great and fit the best. More color choice would have been nice! Ok, I am a woman, but I got over that.
Price was an issue for me, but the one I selected was in the mid range on price.

It's white, now it's sorta scarred up, and it is a Leedom Vandal.
(It is probably time this winter for a new one, as this one has seen many head smacks along the way.)
runswithdog

Postby canoer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Get one that's comfy. I like the vent slider on mine, but mostly I like it because it's warm and toasty and feels good on my head.

Mine was black - ugh. So I painted it with some spray paint (and painted my goggle frames to match). I be stylin...
canoer

Postby bernwern » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 am

Look at the certifications on the helemts. Some are not certified for use as a life-saving device. I have a Bern Brentwood and it is one of maybe 25% of their line that is certified. Also check warranty: Bern has a lifetime warranty.

Like boots, find one that fits comfortably and doe the job. Make sure it has ample vents with adjustable openings....or that it has inter-changeable liners for different temps. Also make sure to try them on with your goggles to ensure they fit well together (you will still have a small gap between them).

-B
bernwern

Return to Gear: General