Glove Recommendations?

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Glove Recommendations?

Postby John » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:18 pm

Any recommendations for gloves? I have some sort of gloves from Burton. They have built-in wrist guards, which is great.

But they aren't waterproof--I have to reapply some stuff twice now. And they are awfully hard to get into, especially when wet. (I have large hands, and they are a large size, but not quite large enough.)

This is my third season with them, though my first season consisted in all of 4 hours or so.

Today I went out riding, and the lining started to pull away from the stiching, making it very hard to put the glove on. (The lining kept bunching up.) So I was "Darth Vader" for the day, never removing the glove for fear that I would not be able to get it back on.

So .... I'm looking for some new gloves.

Suggestions?
John

Postby hookster » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:44 pm

Hey John, I'm using the Burton's as well, the "impact gloves" not their other support glove. I really like them as far as warmth/comfort/fit and I really like the convenience of having the wrist support built in but they didn't seem to hold up that well this season. The stiching on the palm and one of the fingers is starting to come apart and the fake leather on the palms didn't seem to hold up too well against a rope tow that we have down here. Anyway I'm sorry I don't have any to recommend but there should be some good sales going on.
hookster

Postby John » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:54 pm

Rope tow? Wow. You must be motivated, skilled, or both. After crashing way too many times, I simply refuse to use a rope tow anymore. So much for ever learning the pipe at the ski area closest to my house.
John

Postby Pat at Mammoth » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:54 pm

I use an outside of the glove wrist guard made by Drop Zone. That way I can use my regular ski gloves. I got them about 2-3 years ago, so am not sure they are still available.
Pat at Mammoth

Postby Sherlock » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:58 pm

I too am in the market for a new pair of gloves.

My all time favorite snowboarding gloves: '93-'94 Nitro 3 fingered(shooter style). Warm, water resistant, fairly wind resistant and the palms & stitching held up great to frequent snowboarding, but a year of being a chair lift operator put the palms over the edge. I'm having trouble finding 3 fingered gloves of the shooter style in the shops, have found some crab claw style, but... not quite the same. One of those "all the mobility of a glove with the warmth of a mitten" type things.

I've had those experiences with Burton gloves also, liner detaching & stitching giving out :( creative stitching has kept mine in rotation, but... theyre dying.

That's been my experience, still searching for a pair to replace those Nitros.
The more I learn, the more I know, theres a lot more I don't know.
Sherlock

Gloves

Postby mannymr » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:18 pm

I've got two pair of Levels...one is a guantlet style so they keep most snow out and the second pair is shorter, more of a halfpipe style. The gauntlet style has removable liners. Both have wrist impact proctection built in which has been so key.

Here's their website.

http://www.levelgloves.com/flash.htm

I also think Seirus makes gloves with built in wrist guards.
mannymr

Postby snobug » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:18 am

I've had good luck w/Burton and Dakine, but then those are the only two brands of gloves that I've owned.
snobug

Postby canoer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:09 am

I've had good luck with some XL size Dakines; they are big enough to ease over my rollerblade style wrist guards. They also have liners that I avoid wearing if at all possible since they bunch up when you slip the glove off and on for tweaking gear barehanded. The glove itself is insulated and usually plenty warm. The stitching has held up fine for 2 winters.
canoer

Return to Gear: General