Essential items and cheap too

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Essential items and cheap too

Postby welshscarry » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:36 pm

Hi to all gray boarders!

Looking forward to fantastic winter.

How about a note about the best two pieces of hardware I bought last year.

A boot dryer by Serius. Looks like two black sticks with a cord and plug on end........put the sticks in boots overnight.......hmmmm toasty in a.m. and only cost me $25. If you've skiied in wet boots before, here's a remedy. Think I got it from REI.com or Proboardshop.com.

4 Stars!! As a bonus, I also used them on wet hiking boots this summer.

Also a $10 board tool from Burton than is about 2in by 2 in by about a half inch. Easy fit for a pocket

Flashlight and snow shovel and blanket (in my car.)

Yep, all used numerous times. Especially the flashlight. Night time arrival at a friends place in Breck......cold, windy, dark, and I am stumbling for a key under a mat. You will be very glad you had a flashlight in working order. :)
welshscarry

Postby bernwern » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Good post idea!

I also got the boot dryer from Seirus, but mine burned out in one season :( Worked great until then!

Other items I have found to be a big benefit:

1) Waxing iron- cost me $25, and saved me hundreds in board tuning, as well as gave me a good ride! I spent $100 on wax, but that covered 3 boards 2-3 times per week all season long.

2) Extra goggle lens's-price ranges, but I used ebay to get a quiver. I now have 6 different lens's, and I use them all depending on conditions. Usually paid about $25/lens for Oakley A-Frames.

3) Lock-Leash-around $10, works as a leash and locks your board! Wore out after a season, but the peace of mind that it was locked when I was in the chalet was well worth it!

4) Smart-Wool socks-I paid around $30 for 3 pair, and the difference is HUGE. Dry comfortable feet all day long. I bought the ones made for snowboarding (seams and other features vary by sport).

5) Ipod case-aircraft aluminum to avoid damage, and lined with neoprene which absorbed shock but also insulated it to prolong battery life in cold weather. Ebay, about $15.

6) Board tuning kit-scapers, files, tools, etc....$40 and worth every penny to keep my boards in tip-top shape.

7) Neoprene face mask-$10, and well worth it...100x better than a bandana, and warmer/more stable than turtle-fur in sub-zero temps.

8) Metal points stomp pad-they last longer and work better than the usual foam, plastic, or rubber ones. Mine are like 1/2" raised metal rivets, six total spread out as needed. Also note, when applying stomp-pads, you should use a warm iron to heat the top-sheet of your board and the stomp-pad prior to removing the backings and sticking them in place...then stand on it in your boot to apply maximum pressure. They won't come off for a long time this way.

9) Board bag-if you don't have a car rack, this is a must! Holds board, boots, and other gear depending on the size. Mine holds 2 boards with bindings on, plus boots, helmet, and extra gear. Helps prevent damage to the interior of your vehicle and makes carrying lots of gear very easy.

That's all I could think of.....

-B
bernwern

Postby welshscarry » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:15 pm

Hey Bernwern,

I am interested in the took kit/waxing kit----

Can you suggest a vendor? What to look for (most important things in the kit?) How about your waxing iron? I heard you can use an old Momma's iron from Salvation Army. What do you think?

And your lock leash? Model? Vendor?
I have multiple leashes, long and short, but the locking one sounds good this year since I now have an expensive (for me) board.

Thanks,
A
welshscarry

Postby welshscarry » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:19 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot.

The smart wool socks are perfect.

The neoprene is essential for days. less than 10 deg. F, wind loads of wind!

Board bag? I have a roof rack.

Metal points for scraper/stomp pad. I highly agree.
I couldn't believe it made such a difference. Seemed to really help in the chair lift (getting off).
welshscarry

Postby bernwern » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:30 am

welshscarry wrote:Hey Bernwern,

I am interested in the took kit/waxing kit----
Can you suggest a vendor? What to look for (most important things in the kit?) How about your waxing iron? I heard you can use an old Momma's iron from Salvation Army. What do you think?

And your lock leash? Model?Vendor?
I have multiple leashes, long and short, but the locking one sounds good this year since I now have an expensive (for me) board.

Thanks,
A

Sure thing!

My toolkit is from Dakine. It came in a zippered pouch about the size of a 10 CD case....has a multi-tool, file, stone, plastic triangle scraper, some wax (which I used up very quickly and replaced the slot with a socket wrench), and a scotch brite pad. I also added a small cork and and a small piece of rub-on wax for touch-ups. Great kit for the money and easily fits in my backpack.

Waxing iron....lots of debate on this. Yes, you can use an old iron, but you MUST get the temp right or you will burn your p-tex base and ruin your board! Also, the holes in traditional irons do not allow for the best waxing finish. I suggest a cheap Dakine iron like I got last year with the temp gauge. If not, the easiest way to get the right temp on an iron is to let it fully heat, then touch the wax to it...it should melt, but not smoke. If you have not waxed your own equipment, get some pointer from someone who has or take a lesson (REI usually has some free ones). I learned from my friends, but am still learning the finer points :)

I also had a Dakine lock leash...it cost around $10, but I don't remember the model. Worked great all season, but the locking mechanism got snow in it, which melted, then froze....eventually breaking it the last week of my season (47 days on the slopes). I will definitely be getting a new one this season, although I might spend more for a better quality one and pray for more durability.

On another note, I slowly add equipment each year as funding allows.....by no means did I get this all in one season. I take good care of my gear so it lasts. This year I am replacing my lock leash and I have purchased a Yakima Q-Tower system and rack for my car, but all very cheaply through craigslist! I love craigslist and ebay...lots of good deals if you are patient and shop around.

-B
bernwern

Re: Essential items and cheap too

Postby Sherlock » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:52 am

welshscarry wrote:How about a note about the best two pieces of hardware I bought last year.

besides the essentials my 2 most used pieces of equipment were:
1.One of those retractable cable locks(bigger than a cell phone/smaller than a pack of cigs)
2.Multi-tool

Highly recommendable & both easily fit into jacket pockets.
The more I learn, the more I know, theres a lot more I don't know.
Sherlock

Postby SteveH » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:28 pm

Marmot Ultimate Ski Gloves. I have cold hands and the Marmots combined with best purchase #2, a box of HotHands chemical hand warmers, kept my hands toasty all winter for the first time ever.

Steve
SteveH

Postby snowflake » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:52 pm

a pair of spring gloves
balaclava
board tool
lock/leash combo
socks
powerbars
snowflake

sale at SierraSnowboards

Postby canoer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:15 pm

It sounds like the stock is going fast, but boards are on sale at Sierra Snowboard through 11/5. Free shipping too.

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/tag/$99-snowboards-0.asp

I've never shopped with this company so usual disclaimers.
canoer

hand warmers?

Postby canoer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:26 pm

I don't use these but they sound handy.

LAVA PADS PORTABLE HAND WARMERS SET OF 2 BUY 3 GET 1 FREE
http://www.bhmedwear.com/products.asp?product_id=10514&dept_id=1257&parent_id=1249

Someone over on FatWallet said these were similar to the ones REI sells for $4.95 each.

Never shopped this company either so ymmv - REI may be pricier but they have a good return policy.
canoer

Return to Gear: General