Snowboarding Clothing

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Snowboarding Clothing

Postby John » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:56 am

Are you a Carhartt cruiser, a Spyder speeder, or something else?

Snowboard clothing, like other fashion, has gone through cycles. We've had neon, we've had dark grunge, and now we have, well, I don't know, because I don't pay that much attention to it.

Has your clothing set up changed over time? What do you wear now? Have you noticed differences in different parts of the country (if you've had the chance to ride in multiple places)?

OK, so you may think this is all superficial. I'm sympathetic to the argument. But face it, you've got to wear something on the slopes.

I remember spending hours in the snow as a kid, equipped with thin, barely insulated rubber boots and empty bread bags over my socks, which may have been white athletics.

I came to skiing and then snowboarding late, so I escaped the one-piece fad, as well as the super-baggy look.

My gear is technical, which is to mean, expensive ($6 socks or something like that) but effective at wicking away sweat.

I did upgrade my snow pants from something I bought for skiing to something (a Ride pair) that seemed to be tougher for those too-frequent butt slides when I was starting out.

Over the thermals I wear a cotton long-sleeved turtleneck, and then an aging Rossignol ski jacket. Some of the insulating material in the jacket is getting compressed. Maybe I'll replace it some day with a shell and rely on fleeces.

The most unusual set up I've seen, and this may not actually be out of place, was on a warm day in early April. One guy I was riding with wore a base layer on his legs, and then ski shorts on top of those.

My brother used to work as a liftie in lower Michigan. He noted that a common outfit there were Carhartt bibs. Can't say that I've seen them around here.
John

Postby canoer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:17 pm

My BlackDot bibs and a Bonfire Kinetic jacket came from a Craigslister who got them from a pro deal (the jacket says "sample" on the inside). But I usually ride in a Columbia Titanium jacket that a friend gave me (shhh - another pro deal - the matching pants said sample on the outside leg but they were a bit too small, darn it. :) ). And yeah, I had to go look at the labels to remember the brands.

I miss the fire engine red 30 year old Gore-Tex bibs I bought from a friend for $20, but I ripped them to shreds learning.

I do like the current fabrics I'm seeing this winter, so when my bibs go, maybe I'll find some cool ones at a yard sale. :wink:

Oh yeah, my nod to fashion - I spray painted my black helmet with some gray "stone" paint and painted my google frames to match. I'm the rockhead you see on the hill.
canoer

Postby welshscarry » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:24 am

John, cool topic.

I have nice Columbia jacket (on sale), and had a old pair of black Marker ski pants. Quite nice and warm on those 5 degree days at Breckenridge.

I wanted something more stylish for a boarder this year.
Found another sale, and got "snowboard" pants by BonFire. (Radiant)
They are extremely comfortable, lightweight, and also warm.
In addition, I haven't had any wet butts, even though I've had multiple butt slides this winter.

My one real splurge was brand new Burton mittens (Baker model).
I give these a 10+ rating. They are warm, but not soggy.
And I tend to sweat a lot, and also drag my hands too much.
welshscarry

Postby volfan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:04 pm

John/welshcarry...good topic

I think most of us started out wearing ski gear and definitely overdressing. I went to uninsulated ski pants over a thin base layer and a Burton shell. I did get a good pair of gore-tex gloves and scored a Marker gore-tex jacket for $50 as it was mismarked early in the fall. So if its warm I'll wear the shell and a cotton turtleneck or if its cold I'll go with the marker..

I did get a pair of volcom snowboard pants, again uninsulated. Under those I wear a pair of underarmour compression bottoms and they are great.
volfan

Postby bernwern » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:38 pm

Good topic.

Here is my advice: buy technical gear that meets your needs, not something because of color or fashion design.

What I wear (depending on conditions):
1) Base layer of thermals(one pair REI brand, one pair Under Armor 2.0)
2) Smart-Wool boarding socks (got them for $10/pair on ebay)
3) Fleece sweat pants (cheap Starter ones from Wal-Mart)
4) fleece pull-over with zip neck (again, something cheap from Wal-Mart)
5) athletic shorts (nike/reebok/etc)
6) Neoprene face mask, Turtel-Fur (from Big Sky), or cheap bandanarama for warm days
7) Various beanies from Ride, Bonfire, Eirasnow.com, and others.
8') White Sierra cargo pants
9) Helix jacket, Columbia Convert jacket, or my heavy-weight one from Gap (yes, it certainly works)
10) Gloves from Columbia Convert, mittens from burton
12) Helmet from Beori or Bern
13) 2 pair Oakley A-Frames (cuz they fit my face the best)...with total of 6 different lenses for different conditions.

I try to buy earth-tone gear, but it is not exclusive....my gloves are blue and white, for example. I buy what works, not what matches. I also shop for deals on steepandcheap.com, whiskeymilitia.com, gearengine.com, ebay, backcountryoutlet.com, and a ton of other places.

I do understand new riders using existing winter gear, such as Carhart's...but ultimately, it is not a good choice, especially if you plan to stick with the sport. Like me, they may be trying it out and don't want to blow another $1000 on clothing when they spent that on boots, board, and bindings.

-B
bernwern

Postby SteveH » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:35 am

Just spent several days where the temp didn't get out of single digits and windchill held it below zero. I was comfortable, and sometimes too warm. I was layered 6 deep:

Microfiber tee shirt from Lands End.
Capilene base layer long sleeve from Patagonia
Silk long sleeve
Spyder Fleece
AirVantage Vest
Bonfire parka

A sometimes overlooked virtue of CrashPads is that they also provide an extra layer of insulation on the lift or sitting in the snow.

The AirVantage vest is an incredibly versatle garment. You add inflation to increase the insulation and deflate it to cool off. When I got too warm even at zero windchill, letting out the air got me comfortable again. You can change your insulation factor without going back to the car or condo.

My hands are most vulnerable to cold. Last season I got Marmot Ultimate Ski gloves. I have Serius glove liners and throw in HotHands-2 warmers. I was completely comfortable even in the extreme cold.

I also use a light balacava under my helmet to keep the wind from getting underneath.

Steve
SteveH

Return to Gear: General