Ski Swaps

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Ski Swaps

Postby John » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:16 pm

Today I went to my first ski swap for the season. I didn't buy anything, but had a good time talking with some of the sales reps, and looking at the boards. It reminds me of one reason why I like the board I have: no garish graphics.

One guy I spoke with is from Appleton, Wisconsin. He's both a skier and a rider. He started out skiing, but added riding to the mix because ... no surprise here ... skiing in the Midwest can get boring. So he thought of making winter more interesting by mixing things up through adding snowboarding. It's a good reminder that people bring different reasons to riding.

The ski bump is adding a new lift this season. The toweres are installed but I didn't see any chairs or even the cables. They have plenty of time to get those in, however.

I will probably go to at least two other swaps. I don't know if I will actually buy another board. I'd like to get two other boards, actually: a newer, higher-end freeriding board, and a shorter, more flexible board for further exploration in the halfpipe. (I link turns but don't catch air.)

Both my board and my skis came from a ski swap. It wasn't necessarily the best place to go, but things have worked out. This season it may be best to ride some demo days or even, if I get my certification, go pro forma (professional discount).

How about everyone else? Have you been to any swaps yet? See any improvements at your local mountain / molehill?
John

Swaps, bumps, etc.

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:18 pm

Labor day weekend I went to a big tent sale of ski and snowboard gear (http://www.skibonkers.com/). I thought it would be a good chance to grab some of the bits and pieces I need, but it was so crowded and frantic that I fled empty-handed.

The localest of the local resorts has been filling potholes on the road up and building out a new patio / fire pit area, which the local riders have been following with interest... especially because the activity seems to be happening at the expense of brush-cutting, etc.

Last weekend I went to a local all-ages club for the premiere of two snowboard movies, Follow Me Around and People, both by Mack Dawg Productions. People was so-so, but Follow Me Around was good, and left really wanting to get out on the slopes ASAP. Aside from the movie itself, the premiere was an interesting experience. The club was absolutely packed, and included 14-year old skate punks, clean cut college kids, shaggy haired lumberjack look-alikes, and a decent number of professional-looking folks in their 40s, 50s, even 60s. Seeing all those different personalities mixed together, standing side-by-side on a dance floor, staring open-mouthed at the movie screen was a very interesting and intriguing sight.

Hoping for snow on the slopes SOON, and at the same time hoping it will hold off for a little bit: just had carpal tunnel surgery on the left hand this week and will be doing it on the right hand in 3 or 4 weeks, and I'd hate to be sitting on the sidelines with a cast when the snow starts :)[/quote]
Keith

Postby Norm » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:55 pm

UNR (University of Neveda, Reno) Annual Ski Swap is scheduled for the weekend of November 10-12, 2006.

http://www.unrskiswap.com/

I attended the Labor Day weekend sale at Ski Heavenly in Lake Tahoe and picked up a pair of Oakley Goggles and Burton snowboard pants for 50% off. They were 05/06 models. Worth the wait. Only item I have left to get is a new helmet. Looking for something a little lighter.

My oldest daugther and 16 year old grandson recently moved to Reno, so I am looking to get them hooked on riding this year. I hope to be able to pick them up some gear at the ski swap.

P.S. They got some snow over the weekend on the peaks at Ski Heavenly and Squaw Valley. Probably will not stay, but it is a good sign. I could see the snow from my porch.
Norm,
Rome 05/06 Anthem 161
Rome 05/06 Targa Bindings
Vans 04/05 Fargo BOA Boots
Norm

Postby Owlmeat » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Anyone know of swaps in the mid Michigan area? I know Grand Rapids has had one sometime in November....

It snowed today in lower Michigan! It melted before it even touched the ground, but hey, its snow.

Owl
Owlmeat

Return to Gear: General