Women's Snowboarding Equipment

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Women's Snowboarding Equipment

Postby John » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:43 pm

Does gender-specific equipment help?

Yesterday I talked with Jeannie Thoren, a leading expert on the topic of women-specific ski equipment. Thoren, a former ski racer, is a passionate advocate of women-specific skis and boots. She spends much of the year traveling the country for Dynastar, giving clinics on how anatomy should drive ski design.

You can read her ideas at (http://www.jeanniethoren.com/), or do a Google search to find second-person accounts of her work. The essential point is that skeletal and other differences between the sexes, such the center of gravity, mean that "unisex" ski equipment shortchanges women. It's not that a woman can't become a good or even great skier--but she will be working with a handicap if she uses ski equipment that is designed for the physics of a man's body.

I asked Thoren if the same problem exists with snowboards. Her answer: yes. (She does know how to snowboard, but works with, and rides, skis.) She said that there is still a need for women-specific equipment in snowboarding.

As someone who learned how to ski only after the shaped-ski revolution (borrowing from snowboards) took place, I would have to agree that having the proper equipment can make a significant difference.
John

Women's Equipment

Postby redd0019 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:01 am

My first board was a guy's M3 Pro model, big, wide and stiff. After a year on it I bought a women's baord, what a difference. It actually fit my feet, it was easier to turn and yes, it did make a difference. I have had four boards over time, I now am down to two a k2 Luna and a Rome Detail. When I got the Detail I debated getting the K2 www, but decided against a guys board based on past experience. I really like the Detail for the park and goofing off in MN, but will end up getting a stiffer board for out west, most likely the K2 Mix, although the Luna is a nice ride and paid for.
It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves. -Andre Gide
redd0019

Postby PamelaDare » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:20 pm

If you are a heavier person, or a woman with size 10 feet, the waist area of many women's boards is too small and your toes and/or heels will hang over the edge. Turning is impossible and you find yourself falling the second you try and do anything.

This was one of the first lessons I learned.
PamelaDare

Return to Gear: General