GPS

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

GPS

Postby bmfukuda » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:25 pm

Does anyone use a GPS system when riding? I was looking at the Garmin 60CS because it's small enough to take on the mountain (well take off mountain) but still big enough to sufficently do turn-by-turn when driving. Just wanted to see what everyone else was using.

Thanks,
Bert
bmfukuda

Postby John » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:10 am

I've never veered off-piste, so I have not had a need for a GPS. Bert, if you're reading this, did you get the GPS? How did it work out?
John

GPS

Postby Spindog » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:57 pm

I'll be in Steamboat for a week March 13-17, and being a boater, I have a Garmin GPS12Map that I use on the boat. I was thinking of bringing it along. Perhaps it's the geek in me but I'd really like to wear it somewhow and leave it on for some runs so I could later plot the tracks, the elevation changes and the speeds etc.

I probably won't do that unless I can figure out some good method to attach it. I suppose I could maybe hang it or strap it to my upper arm or something as well, but it has to be generally upright and exposed to the sky to get a good signal. I don't feel confident enough trying to hold it in my hand while boarding. I'll have to think about it some more.
Spindog

GPS

Postby MJD » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:17 pm

Hi Bert, I recieved a Garmin Legend for Christmas- one of those gifts you never asked for or thought about but you do. I brought it with me on my backcountry excursion in Vermont two weekends ago. I put in a 3 waypoints- one at the trailhead, one about half way up, and one at the peak.

I got to snowboard about a 1/8 of the way down before the tree population got to thick to go any farther- so the rest of the hike out I played with the GPS. I figured out how can trace routes and get distances and elevations. I haven't read the manual yet but I am planning to. It's a neat toy and I can definitely see how it would be a life saver if you're way out in the middle of nowhere and get lost.

Garmin Mapsource sell these topo maps of national parks on CD that you can store on your unit. They're kind of pricey though. I'm waiting to get a deal on one.
MJD

Return to Gear: General