Feet Stance/angles

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Feet Stance/angles

Postby NYcrash » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:14 pm

Hi.
Today in the 7 inches of powder we got in NY, I rode like poop.
I didn't even know I sukked that bad!
Can anyone tell me if my stance should of been adjusted? Typically i ride packed powder and rarely tumble.
Today in the choppy mess I had severe leg/foot burn and fell constantly. I did alleviate some of the leg/foot burn when I released my highbacks to the lowest setting but, not enough.
If todays conditions are an indication of how it is to ride out west, I would need to learn all over again.
I have rode in powder before but today was kind of like a damp/heavy powder? Any info as to why i rode great all week on packed powder and could barely stay afloat today in the heavy stuff would be great..Thanks...
NYcrash

Postby shikshak » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:02 pm

I was out in the same type of conditions today in VT-and it was the best day ever! I've been out in the same type of stuff and had a terrible time-it seemed so chopped up it was hard to predict. But today the people I was riding with kept telling me to get lower so the knees could take the uneven surface better (like pistons) and that worked. I've read stuff that says to put the bindings more towards the rear of the board, haven't tried that. What I've learned about the heavy powder is it's just plain harder to 'push' though and more speed is a definite plus. After the long runs, my legs were screaming! And I've noticed on some days my toeside turns are strong, and the next day it's gone to poop! Every day is a new day for me-I never expect to be able to ride the same way everyday so it keeps me alert and humble. Don't give up on the pow-especially since it doesn't hurt when falling!
shikshak

Feet Stance/angles

Postby goofydatarave » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:06 pm

Riding in powder vs packed powder (what we call ice here on the East Coast), usually requires slighty more of a binding offset towards the rear of the board. This will help to keep your tip above the fluff, without you having to constantly work at it. If there is room in your disks (assuming you have regular strap-in bindings), you may be able to just loosen the screws and slide them both back 1/2" to 1". Otherwise, you may have to move the binding back a set of holes on the board.
A bad day on the board is better than a good day at the office.
goofydatarave

Pow riding

Postby Got2ramble » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:05 pm

My experience is that Pow is actually more demanding on the legs than on a groomed surface. Riding in power is the one time you can actually keep some of your weight back on the rear foot so the nose of the board stays up. The leg burn could be just the early season out of shape riding sneaking up on you. Oh some boards do much better in power than others. I go to a mid wide board, Burton Triumph 169, for those pow days. When I was determining my stance angles, if my front foot hurt I knew I needed to change the angel a little or my stance width. I think it comes down to how your legs and feet are shaped. Oh when I rode like Poop it was because I wasn't keeping my back straight.
Got2ramble

Postby shikshak » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:20 pm

Everyday is a new day....today at Pico with groomed, ice, and powder. The changing surface was challenging-and the powder was kicking my butt! I'll sound like a pansy, but when it's over a foot deep, it's too tough. :oops: Guess it takes lots of practice on all types of conditions.
Pico on weekends has a much more mangable crowd, especially before noon. And plenty of long blue.
shikshak

Return to Gear: General