Best knee pads?

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Best knee pads?

Postby FerndaleDave » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 am

Hi everyone,
I am just starting out in this sport. I have all safety equipment except knee pads. Can anyone suggest the right knee pads for a newbie?
Thanks much. I value your opinions.
Cheers, David
FerndaleDave

Re: Best knee pads?

Postby Rob3 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:10 am

David,
I like my 686 knee pads a lot. Have used them for maybe 5 seasons, they work and I don't even think about them when I'm riding. I've never seen them in stores below 5000 feet, but at the resorts they are findable. I've never had any others so I can't speak to "best."
Rob
Rob3

Postby John2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:53 pm

I bought some volleyball kneepads at Target for $10-$15. They worked well enough, but then I lost one of them. It's like losing one glove. They're good for kneeling, but they move, so I can't count on having them protect my knee in a hard fall. I need to find something else.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby leftcoastlarry » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:07 pm

I've been using skateboard knee pads. The brand is Hi-Tec, picked them up at a Sports Authority (about 6 years ago) I think they cost about $17. The pads are hard plastic (padded on the inside) with velcro straps above and below the kneecap. They are pretty durable and I'm convinced they saved me from more extensive knee damage (fractured tib/fib plateau was enough thank you) when I got run into away back in Dec 08. I saw some decent looking stuff at a Sports Chalet (brand name was ProTec I think) but I'd already gotten my skateboard gear.

I had an instructor at Vail who used cut down catchers shin guards, he was constantly kneeling down when giving lessons, and he said he couldn't make it through a season without them. He also said he was wearing out snowboard pants at the knee until he started patching with black duct tape - I kid you not!

I've been looking to replace my Hi-Tecs (straps are stretching and the velcro weakening) and have my eyes on a company called G- Form that makes Mountain Biking protection gear - now those guys IMPACT! Downside is cost - $70! But they're your knees, and they're worth it right? If you think otherwise...well you think otherwise.

I wouldn't think about boarding without my helmet, knee pads, wrist guards, and impact shorts. But that's just me.
leftcoastlarry

Postby John2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:49 pm

I just took a three-day trip with my new volleyball kneepads. I thought of it the day before I left for the trip, so I did not have time to explore options. For simple kneeing on the snow to rest, they were fine. My bindings (K2 Cinch) are so tight in the back lever that it's easier for me to kneel on the snow and then snap the lever into place. These pads work just fine for that. They cost about $11. For some reason, I'm leery of buying something with a hard shell. It seems like that would just slam into my knees.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Return to Gear: General