Software!

Talk about snowboarding clothing, travel bags, accessories, and other snowboarding gear not talked about in other forums.

Software!

Postby Rob3 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:15 pm

I've seen several iPhone and Android apps claiming to track your movements on a mountain and to keep records of altitude, speed, distance, etc. Do any of you have a favorite app of this kind that I could try out this season? Thanks!
Rob
Rob3

Re: Software!

Postby John2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Great question. Last year I tried "Hike and Bike," which is a generic movement tracker. I also tried Alpine Relay. The only fault I found with that program is that it work only on slopes on lift-served terrain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby Rob3 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:33 am

Hi John,

I just downloaded Ski Tracks for Android (version 1.1.7)(costs 99 cents). Tested it on a bike ride around the neighborhood and it worked great. The software engineer who ported this app from the iPhone is an avid boarder, which probably explains why it's possible to change the tracking page glyph from a skier to a rider. :!: After I have a chance to try it on a mountain, I'll post my experience.

Rob
Rob3

Postby John2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 am

Please do report on what you think of it. It would be a small disappointment to abandon the tracks I have on my current software, but if something a lot better comes along, I'm interested.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby Rob3 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Ski Tracks app worked absolutely flawlessly for my first two riding days of the 2013-14 season at Tahoe. The feature I like best is the beautiful topo map that it plots your tracks on. For every resort I've looked at it also has all the lift names and names of the trails too. Ski Tracks automatically distinguishes between time on the lift and time on the snow. It requires only GPS, not cell phone coverage. It work with beautiful accuracy, even tracking a short walk back from the last lift of the day to retrieve a forgotten backpack. The app calculates and displays every statistic you could want, here's a partial list: max speed, average speed, total distance riding, vertical feet, number of runs, average slope, max altitude, an altitude versus distance profile for your day on the mountain, total time. You can choose measurement units in km or miles, and if you stop to take a photo you can automatically append it to your track at the coordinates where it was taken. Finally, you can share your tracks in three formats, KMZ (Google Earth), GPX (John, maybe you can import your old tracks), and SKIZ (for sharing with other Ski Tracks users). It would be cool if we could find a way to post and display these track files on Grays On Trays. There is a mechanism to send them to Facebook so maybe we could direct them to the GoT Facebook page.

Ski Tracks ran all day on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and never used even half the battery. This may be very different in Steamboat next week where it will be probably 40 degrees F colder than at Tahoe. And John, I suppose NOTHING is working in Michigan at the moment - you folks clearly are way too COLD.
Rob3

Postby John2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. The last two times I tried to use Alpine Replay, I ended the day, clicked "upload," and ... got a message saying that it had recorded NOTHING.

At least in the last case, it was purely an operating error. I had recently going to Canada, so I disabled cellular service (running on wi-fi only) on my phone.

I am intrigued at a product that uses only GPS.
John2

Return to Gear: General