For snowboarders, the T-Bar is one sticky wicket.

While lifts simplify our snowboarding lives by taking us up the mountain, using them can be a challenge. Talk about chair lifts, t-bars, and other lifts in this forum.

For snowboarders, the T-Bar is one sticky wicket.

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:31 am

Despite an enormous dump of snow, we lost much of it at our small area on the coast of Maine. This means T-bar only until we get enough snow or cold weather to make enough to open up the chair.

Until then, the hardest part especially for new snowboarders, is getting up the hill. We're pretty used to it and get up without much trouble but it is a work out.

If you're faced with this antique invented before snowboards were popular, here's some tips;

Try to ride up with a skier. They have a bit more control and stability with a wider stance.

A few ride strapped in both feet but it's better to learn with your back foot out. You've got to maneuver quickly to get in the gate and you'll likely need to take it off at the top anyway to walk a bit.

So, keep your stomp pad clear (I should actually have a better one with more grip than the pad I have)

It's easy for a board to go off the track, the biggest reason for a fall off. Keep a little more weight on your forward foot and use your stomp pad to guide (push) the rear of the board for direction.

Two boarders with a little experience are good going together and will get comfortable with how your partner reacts. Get a buddy until you're confident on the Tbar, then you can easily go solo.

Unlike a skier who's butt is square to the T-bar, the rider has the bar more on the hip.

Just like skis, don't sit down on the T! It just pulls you up the hill, doesn't carry you.

We're a bit of an anachronism, T-bars are becoming quite rare. We actually have another one that goes all the way to the top.That's an adventure on a snowboard.

Here my daughter is helping her neice for her first ride on a Tbar. After a couple in front, she was able to ride on the other side.
Tom

Return to Techniques: Using Lifts