The strappad: useful tool or gimmick?

While lifts simplify our snowboarding lives by taking us up the mountain, using them can be a challenge. Talk about chair lifts, t-bars, and other lifts in this forum.

The strappad: useful tool or gimmick?

Postby John2 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 am

Someone recently pointed me to a new product called the "strap pad." In brief, it's stomp pad with a strap binding made out of Velcro.

It serves two functions:
1. While riding on the lift, you stick your back foot in the strap pad, which then help support the weight of your board.

2. When riding off the lift, you can use the strap pad as a temporary binding to help you come to a stop.

The website of the company is: http://www.strappad.com/

At $22, it seems spendy for a piece of rubberized plastic and Velcro, but if it's useful ..... I ride without a stomp pad (I like the clean look of my board, and usually don't find the stomp pad necessary), but I would like the prospect of having both of my feet support the weight of the board.

The site has some videos and other information about the product. Check it out and let me know what you think. You can also leave a comment on the GOT Facebook page: www.facebook.com/graysontrays
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Re: The strappad: useful tool or gimmick?

Postby patmoore » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Interesting concept. A number of mountains have staged ascents. In other words one chair lift terminates and you have a short downhill stretch to grab another chair. It's always a pain to engage the rear foot for a short trip but I don't have the skill to ride with the rear foot not strapped in. Maybe this device will allow that.
patmoore

Postby John2 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Pat,

Now that's another possible application for this! I never thought of that, but you're right, this could be a useful application. And while I'm generally skilled at going left, right, straight, flat, or down off a lift, making an extended ride with one foot out is beyond my ability. I had to the "ride off, boot in for short trip, boot out, sit in the chair" routine during my last trip out west, which was to Sun Valley.

Actually, there's one mini-hill around here where this would be helpful. It's Trollhaugen, Wisconsin. It's got the strangest setup I've ever seen. You've got to enter the property through the lodge, and only the lodge, since they've got chain-link fence on either side. Leave the backside of the lodge and there's a 20-foot drop to the bottom of a ravine, and from there it's a short skate to the lift.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby John2 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 pm

I received this item from the company:

"Because we have had such a successful pre-season, our new model is currently on back order until early December, but we still have plenty of the Original Strap Pad in stock. Anyone who places an order for the Original Strap Pad through the website using the promo code: " SPGraysOnTrays" will get free USPS shipping on their order."
John2

Postby hookster » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Hey John,

I've never been a stomp pad guy either but the weight of the board hanging while on the lift does get to my knee sometimes, especially in a crowded chair with a mix of boarders and skiers which can put you in odd positions that don't help matters. The support strap might make for a happier left knee.

Later,

Hookster :P
hookster

Postby heelturn » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:46 pm

This strap pad borders on patent infringement U.S patent number 6457746 and I will be seeking legal advise
heelturn

Return to Techniques: Using Lifts