Getting off the lift

While lifts simplify our snowboarding lives by taking us up the mountain, using them can be a challenge. Talk about chair lifts, t-bars, and other lifts in this forum.

Re: Getting off the lift

Postby goofydatarave » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:44 am

At the risk of getting a little off topic here, I'm going to strongly second what Grizzled touched on.

If you are fairly confident with your riding, and want to work on riding fakie, the best thing in the world to do is to leave your 'wrong' foot strapped in, so in lift lines, getting on and off the lift, and generally moving about with only one foot strapped in, you are fakie. It's very akward a first, but it doesn't take long to at least be proficient moving about like that. Then try riding fakie on the slope. You won't believe how much better at it you will be. :D
A bad day on the board is better than a good day at the office.
goofydatarave

Postby Grizzled » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:29 pm

The hardest part of that lil experiment was that both bindings on that board were angled forward. So now I'm gonna set up an old board goofy. When I'm stuck riding the small local hills I'll spend half the time on a goofy board and the other half on a regular. Should improve my riding, help with the boredom & keep me out the bar. :twisted:
Riding since '87
Grizzled

Postby goofydatarave » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:38 pm

The hardest part of that lil experiment was that both bindings on that board were angled forward

That part kind of slipped my mind. My whole family has a duck stance, so sometimes I forget that it's more common to have the rear binding angled forwards. My stance is almost symetrical (+18, -15). I typically ride switch for at least 50% of the time, and the duck stance definitely helps with that.
goofydatarave

Postby annouk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:25 am

What exactly does riding fakie mean? Is it riding with one foot unstrapped?

Thanks for the help
annouk

Postby GregH » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:30 am

I solved the problem of getting off lifts very quickly by making 2 runs unstrapped. Once you have have a mile or 2 of snow under your board unstrapped, it gets a whole lot easier.

I also changed my stop pad with one that was a bit higher pointier. made a big difference as well.
GregH

Postby goofydatarave » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:33 am

As far as I know, riding 'fakie' and riding 'switch' mean the same thing... basically riding in the opposite direction of what is 'natural' for you.

So, if you ride regular but are riding switch then you would be riding goofy and fakie. :lol: Ok, so that was purposely confusing.
goofydatarave

Postby Grizzled » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:27 am

GregH wrote:I solved the problem of getting off lifts very quickly by making 2 runs unstrapped. Once you have have a mile or 2 of snow under your board unstrapped, it gets a whole lot easier.

Practice makes perfect. Now try the unstrapped jumps & kick out a big one foot air. hahaha

fakie = switch
sorry old skewl lingo.
Riding since '87
Grizzled

Postby John » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:54 am

Pretty much, yes "switch" and "fakie" are the same thing. I believe that in a few circumstances, there is a difference, but the terms are used interchangeably--which I suppose is to be expected given idea of reversability that each term suggests.

My preference is "switch," and it's only on an aesthetic basis. It sounds better.

But here's a story about a misunderstanding of either term.

I was in a ski/snowboard shop. I asked one of the employees, an older guy, if he could take one of the strap bindings off its display stand and show it to me.

He did, and we talked about something (I forget what) for a while. Then he said "oh yeah, those kids on the snowboard, they like to"--and here he lifts one foot off the ground and grabs the heel with his hand--"ride fakie."

Uhm, no sir, that would be a grab!
John

Postby John » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:04 pm

Grizzled wrote:
Recently at Mt. Holly(small Detroit area hill) I got so bored I devoted half the day to riding entirely fakie. Even to the point of unstrapping my front foot & riding the lifts fakie.

It sounds like you kept your usual stance (say, left foot forward), but instead of having your front foot in the binding, you had the back one in. Is that right? I tried that the other day, and I fell. I think I ended up spinning around; probably needed to put more weight up in front. I suppose I should have tried it a few more times, but I wasn't bored enough!
John

Postby Grizzled » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:42 pm

John wrote:It sounds like you kept your usual stance (say, left foot forward), but instead of having your front foot in the binding, you had the back one in. Is that right?

Yep, just unstrapped the front. I have now set up an old board for "Switch"/goofy riding.

fakie is an old skater word from way back, when boards had a directional shape.
Riding since '87
Grizzled

crashing off the lift

Postby Kathee » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:41 am

I haven't been out yet, but I will after the first of the year. Can't wait!

Staying upright after letting go of the chair is going to be one of the biggest challenges this season. I seem to be fairly ok on the Bunny Hill, but when I get to the intermediate, especially with 3 to a lift........I'm a disaster.

I am goofyfooted and don't know the terms about strapped, toe over, etc. So I leave my left foot in, put my right on the stomper, try to sit on the left, and hope for the best.

Actually, I don't know if I really am goofyfooted........it feels 'right' either way. How do you really know?
Kathee

Postby Grizzled » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:07 am

You may be "goofy" but it has nothing to do with your stance. Left foot forward / strapped in, would make you regular.

How do you know? If you find yourself spinning around, and its easier to ride backwards/switch. Then youd be goofy and need to make some binding adjustments.

If you feel good going both ways, hahaha. Then try a duck stance.
Riding since '87
Grizzled

Postby GregH » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:06 pm

I hear being Goofy footed is a sign of geniusImage
GregH

Goofy Geniuses

Postby goofydatarave » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:45 pm

Most defenately :D

PS. spelling error was on purpose.
goofydatarave

Postby John » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:37 am

Here's something that has worked for me lately: when sliding away from the lift, don't let your hand linger on the chair.

Do that, and you risk getting your hand hit by the chair as it makes its turn.

Instead, as soon as is practical, pull that back hand close to your ribs. That will help get your weight to the tip of the board, where it belongs, and away from the tail, where it does not.
John

PreviousNext

Return to Techniques: Using Lifts