Any experience with Salomon Malamutes?

Talk about snowboarding boots here.

Any experience with Salomon Malamutes?

Postby IdahoRider » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Greetings all-

I know I was pretty quiet last season...didn't post much...but did stop into the site a few times to check on how things were going. Had a good winter, got in about 30 days even though North Idaho did not get nearly as much snow as it should have. Two big positives about last winter: 1) I took a series of lessons geared for the adult snowboarder through the Nice Turns program at Schweitzer and finally got way more dialed in on my toe turns. Lessons was such a good idea I am going to do it again this year. Besides all the good form, weight, balance etc tips the instructor provided, he also encouraged me to switch my stance from +15/+6 to +15/-15. What a difference! I've gone duck and will never go back. and 2) I rode my new Venture Zephyr all year and it did great even though we never had a real deep powder day all year. Good board.

so now I am starting to think about the coming season. I want to try some different boots. I have spent the last 3 seasons in Vans Fargos and really liked them, but they have 100 or so days on them and I am getting some heel lift. I put in some heel inserts about halfway through the season and they helped, but I think I am ready for a new pair. All along I was thinking that when the time came I would stick with Vans and go to the dual boa Cirro, but now I have started hearing good things about the Salomon Malamute.

If anybody out there has these boots and wouldn't mind taking a minute to share their experiences with them I would appreciate it.

thanks;
Ed
aka IdahoRider
aka G.O.A.T. (Gray On A Tray)
Sandpoint, ID
IdahoRider

Re: Any experience with Salomon Malamutes?

Postby runswithdog » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Ed,

for what it's worth, I switched over to the Salomon Kiana (wms) last year.
I had previously worn all Burton.

I have been extremely happy with the fit, function and the durability. All excellent.
These are not boa, but have a neat double tie, cinch system that gets them really tight.

I also finally got onto my own recommendation, and bought a Venture this summer. It's the Euphoria, a "powder" board, and I will let you know how it goes. Glad your board is living up to the hype.

A.
runswithdog

Postby John2 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:05 pm

I've got Salomon Maori boots, for what it's worth. They're not as tight as I would like them to be. Initially they turned one of my big toes purple (yuck!) but since that they're too loose. They have a pull-strap lace inside, and one outside. Sometimes I go back to my old Ride whatevers that have mile-long laces.

Glad to hear that riding duck worked out for you. I've been riding it for a while. Last season I went back to a plus/plus degree setup on my bindings. The hope was that it would help me make tighter turns on NASTAR gates. I don't think it made any difference.
Last edited by John2 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby IdahoRider » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi RWD and J2;

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I need to be pretty careful about picking the right Salomon boot. I certainly don't want either purple toes or loose heels! I already had a Morton's Neuroma episode from a tight binding, and that was enough foot problems for a long time!

My first boots, 6 years ago, were Vans Mantras, but I packed them out very quickly. They were really soft boots but in my inexperience and ignorance, I thought that was a good thing. When I realized I wanted a stiffer boot I went shopping on line and found a pair of Fargos that were half price because they were out of date by one season. They have been really good boots but I
am thinking that I got lucky with the fit, buying them without trying them on. This year I am not going to push my luck, so I am going to physically try on the boots before I choose. I want a stiff boot with a really snug heel cup, but I also want the comfort of being able to open up the toe box. I am pretty sure the Cirros will do all that, but the Malamutes claim to have the same features. We shall see; hopefully I can find a pair of each to compare. I am going into Spokane in the next month or so to go shopping. Stay tuned!

RWD...Congratulations on your Venture. I found my Zephyr to be a bit stiffer to flex than I expected, but also significantly faster than I expected. I hot waxed it once and treated it with Poor Boy speed paste 4 or 5 times during the season and it stayed fast. It was kind of a treat to be passing people on the cat track instead ofthe other way around. And in the little bit of powder that we did get, it floated like a surfboard. We had a few days with 2-4 inches of freshies on hard pack and in those conditions the Zephyr turns into a sweet sportscar ride. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your Euphoria.

Thanks for the input on the boots.
Ed
aka IdahoRider
Sandpoint, ID
IdahoRider

Postby IdahoRider » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Just a quick note to follow up on my Malumute question...

I bought the Malumutes and I really like them. The boot tongue is so stiff that it almost acts like a highback for the toe side. I can really drive my shin into the boot tongue and power the edge toe side on the groomers. The toe box is roomy and comfortable; the heel cup is pretty snug, though one is not quite as snug as the other and after a few hours I can get a little heel lift in that one. The boots are incredibly warm, which is a huge plus. The lacing system is very effective, but does seem overly complicated. I wish they made the same boot with a boa system. Overall, I would give them a really strong B+ for fit. The only thing that stops me from giving them an A is the slack in the one heel cup. For comfort and warmth and stiffness, a solid A.
Ed
aka IdahoRider
Sandpoint, ID
IdahoRider

Return to Gear: Boots