Women's and men's snowboards

For women who wish to take a break from the usual discussion and have a talk with other women about riding, here's your forum.

Women's and men's snowboards

Postby Rhonlynn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:49 am

When I ordered my son's snowboard, and my snowboard, I noticed they have men's and women's snowboards. Well, after the pants issue, no more men's stuff for me (except maybe the DC pants that are pink, but are labeled men's...uh yeah). So what is the difference? I'd think, if you're a guy, you'd not want the snowboard I chose for myself, with pink birds and scrolls, and purple on it. My burtons boots I ordered are womens, and the bindings are women's. I could tell the snowboards at Snow Creek didn't fit my foot as well.
Rhonlynn

Re: Women's and men's snowboards

Postby runswithdog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 pm

The main difference between mens and womens boards is the width and length.

Womens boards are narrower and shorter. <We normally weigh less and are shorter than men.>

A narrower and shorter board is also easier to turn.

Did you consider any of these factors when buying your board?

Regardless, just about anything will work when you are learning.
As you progress, you will normally want to upgrade all of your equipment.

This board is a great resource, and as you learn, I would suggest reading every thread that is here.
Both for equipment, clothing, and technique.

Hang in there!

Ann
runswithdog

Postby John2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:37 pm

For what it's worth, here's an article I found on two boards that are sold as womens' boards:

http://outsideonline.com/gear/travel-ga ... 54649.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to technical difficulties, the user "John" is now running as "John2." New and improved?
John2

Postby MtnSportsGirl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Basically guys’ boards are wider and stiffer. This means that (depending how strong you are) a men's specific board will probably be harder to turn and control. Men usually have bigger feet and are heavier so their boards tend to be both wider (foot size) and stiffer (weight issue). Womens’ boards tend to have a smaller “waist” and softer flex which make them easier to turn and control. There is a ton of information in the Internet on how to choose equipment suited to your level and riding style.
MtnSportsGirl

Return to Women's Forum