Anyone still riding after TKR?

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

Anyone still riding after TKR?

Postby cruznthebluz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:45 am

After years of PT, cortisone injections, synvisc treatment, celebrex pills, braces, ACL reconstruction/repair, my orthopedic surgeon finally said those dreaded words, "Nothing else we can do for the knee but a Total Knee Replacement."

I'm a 49 y.o., female, intermediate rider who loves cruising powder runs in CO -- I never intentionally leave the snow surface. I usually "rest" in the kneeling position so I can take-off on my toeside -- will I have to change to resting on my butt and taking off on my heelside? Really worried about kneeling with a TKR (back leg).

Please share your recovery stories, good or bad. Any advice from someone with prosthetic knees and still snowboarding would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by cruznthebluz on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cruznthebluz

Re: Anyone still riding after TKR?

Postby SteveH » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Sorry to hear that surgery is in your future! I haven't had the surgery (knock on wood) but wanted to share a few thoughts.

I have been riding with a deep bone bruise in the knee area since last January. I have no way of knowing if the pain will necessarily be similar to that caused by the knee surgery, but I have found getting up from the heelside is much more painful because of the stress on the knee as you lever yourself up. There is much less pressure on the knee getting up from the kneeling position on the toeside.

Obviously the issue of kneeling after the surgery is something to be taken up with your orthopedic surgeon, but I don't see why it would be a problem. The pressure of kneeling would be on the new artifical joint that is stronger than the bone that was replaced. The connection points of the new joint to the bones shouldn't be stressed any more in a kneeling position than when standing or walking. The one issue that occurs to me is whether pushing up from a kneeling position with both feet strapped into the board would put some angular torque on the tibia/fibula connection. The surgeon or physical therapist should have some insight into that question.

I'll also share an anecdote, not entirely on point, but heartening. I learned to ski with a well known instructor/author named Harald Harb. During one his camps at Arapahoe Basin, Harald's 82 year old father joined us. Theo had been a ski instructor in Austria his entire life. At the time of his trip to ABasin he had had both of his knees replaced. Not only could he keep up with any of us in the camp (with utterly stunning techniqure), he took a wrong turn and ended up out of bounds skiing through several feet of untracked powder for a mile or so until he came to the hill leading up to the highway. He hiked up to the highway and hitched a ride back to the lifts. The lesson I took from the experience is that the ability to keep doing what you love has much more to do with determination, enthusiasm and practice than with the composition of your joints.
SteveH

Postby John » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm

I haven't have an answer, but I have issued plea on my twitter feed (www.twitter.com/graysontrays) and sent an e-mail to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in snow-sports injuries. (I've exchanged a couple of notes with him before, but it may take a while for him to respond.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby runswithdog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Hey Cruzn:

Take Heart. REad some stories on ski.net with discussions of skiiers who have had total knee.

Coming from someone who has bad foot issues and will need surgery when I can't stand it anymore.....My 2 Cents.....

My PT, chiro, and the Ortho MD all say "do whatever you want so long as it doesn't hurt".
Most Docs seem to go with the "quality of life issue" now. Post surgery, I would be shocked to hear of a Ortho MD say "you should NOT ride a snowboard", particularly since you've already stated that you do mostly groomed blues, nothing too crazy.

The knee will be titianium ----and seems like kneeling on it, toeside, surely would not hurt as much as your current painful knee. :)
runswithdog

Postby patmoore » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:36 am

No personal experience here either although it may come to that. My ortho said that after 3 surgeries, that's the next step. I'm holding off as long as I can for two reasons: (1) limited effective life of the replacement and (2) waiting for improved technology. For the moment it's not bothering me too much so I have the luxury of waiting. When it becomes unavoidable I have the comfort of knowing a few skiers who have had terrific results. One skis better now than he has in the previous 20 years.

My doctor cautioned me about two concerns: limited range of motion (max bend for most folks is 105 degrees) and the inability to kneel on that knee post-op. He told me about those issues five years ago so maybe technology has found the solution.

In any event, best of luck to you!
patmoore

Postby John » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:47 am

I've received a reply from the surgeon. I'm going to paraphrase his reply:

"There is nothing published in the medical literature specifically on TKRs and snowboarding that I am aware of, but anecdotally there are lots of skiers (and boarders) who have returned to the slopes successfully after having a TKR. In general, boarding places less strain on the knees and so this is another positive factor."
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby DLSTEW » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 am

My wife just had a total hip replacement and I am just as curious.

As far as TKR goes, my dad had one and could still beat me in racquetball which I would think is much harder on the knee than snowboarding. The starting, stopping, twisting and turning in a racquetball game is pretty severe compared to snowboarding I would think, but then again I am no expert.
DLSTEW

Postby patmoore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:29 am

The TKR is still under consideration for the right knee but the formerly intact left one is now an issue. While pacesetting a few weeks ago I twisted it sharply incurring a partial tear of the ACL, MCL, meniscus and an undisplaced fracture of the bone and cartilage. It hurts to walk but not to ski or board. I still plan on competing at the NASTAR Nationals at Winter Park later this month.

When I get home the doc and I can discuss which knee to fix (or both or neither).
patmoore

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health