Ankle Screwed?

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

Ankle Screwed?

Postby pinerider » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:13 am

I broke (more of a separation, really) my ankle mountain biking a coupla weeks ago, had to have a screw put in to put things back together. 4 more weeks in the cast, then surgery for screw removal, then physio, then back on the bike/board, around Christmas time hopefully.
Anybody have any experience or advice on boarding with wonky ankles?
Should I take a chance and buy a season pass for the local hill?
Down the Hill!! (slowly)
pinerider

Postby bernwern » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:39 pm

My opinion: take it easy. Wait until the Doc at least gets the cast off, then slowly work your ankle into physical activities....if you over-exert it early, you could ruin the entire season.

Ankles and knees are no-no's to ride on when injured, in my opinion. If it was a shoulder separation, or a rib-break, etc I could personally vouch for riding with them.

As for your main question, I can not recommend either way on a season pass. It depends how many days you typically ride with respect to how much time you think you will have to ride and the cost of the pass. If you ride 50 days per season (over a 4 month period), but only anticipate 10 weeks work of riding on a $1000 pass, that would equal about $33 a day. If that is less than the daily ticket price, get the pass. This is something you really need to decide on your own, as I would never push anyone to ride injured, or ride more than they are used to.

If you do decide to ride, make sure to get supportive boots (stiff). Also make sure you stick away from any air, as impacts will aggravate that ankle a lot (I have ridden on sprained ankles and it takes a toll).

-B
bernwern

Postby GravityAddict » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 pm

First thing you need to know is I'm the guy who usually says to get out there and push it no matter what, but...... Ankles, no way. Given the injury you are describing, I would really take some serious time off. If you think a stiff boot with lots of support will do the trick, you're just involved in some serious wishful thinking. Miss a season and ride the rest of your life pain free. Spend your winter working on healing and stretching for flexibility next season. Just my opinion. good luck.
GravityAddict

Postby pinerider » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I don't plan on trying anything before the doc says I can, was just wondering about recovery time. Cast comes off Nov. 11, then screw removal, then physio, I'm thinking I should be ok around Christmas or so....
Down the Hill!! (slowly)
pinerider

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health