October// your one good exercise that works?

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

October// your one good exercise that works?

Postby runswithdog » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:20 pm

H all,

I always try to start some more snowboard specific type exercises in Oct.
That's in addition to my normal cardio now of running, long mountain hikes, and some light mountain biking.

I like the normal "box setups./crossovers" , (using a regular aerobic step.)

For me, though, this is the most sport specific:, I am do regular "standing snowboard squats." .... <as if you are strapped in>
Starting in your normal athletic snowboard stance, sguat to your lowest position maintainable for 10 or 15 sec, (watch your posture and back), then move up to 1/2 squat position and hold, , then up to a barely squat postion and hold. NOW, go back back to the lowest position and hold again for 15 sec.

As training progresses, I work up to "holding position" for 1-2 min. each time. Then work up doing 3 sets or more.

Who's got some other good early training exercises for riders?
runswithdog

Postby bernwern » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 am

I havew been trying some cross-training exercises lately. Here's a few to consider:

1) one-leg bicep-curls. stand on one leg, forcing you to balance more. This will strengthen core muscles as well as those odd ones not often used in balancing. Alternate the leg used.

2) pivoting push-ups. Using a half ball, place a regular weight bar across the top and use it for closed-fist push ups....except you are struggling to balance the bar across the top of the ball at the same time. Again, this strengthens core and balancing muscles at the same time.

3) Toe presses and raises. I do alot of these, because you use your calves alot more than you think when torsioning a board and carving. Add some weights to make them even more effective.

-B
bernwern

Preseason training

Postby patmoore » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:21 am

I experimented for a half dozen years by alternating an intense training regimen with doing absolutely nothing. I hate to say it but it didn't seem to make a bit of difference when the season started. My forward leg (mostly the quad, but also the calf) would be toast after an hour of riding. I should point out that I ride a hardboot board so my angles are pretty extreme. My assessment was that I just can't isolate the parts of the muscles that do the work when I'm on a board. Certainly, my legs were in better shape the years that I worked out but that didn't translate to strength where I needed it. This year is another "off" year. I just got back from two weeks in Europe and the most exercise I got was "12 oz. curls" with some wonderful pilsner.

Each summer I will do a few distance rides on a 28" unicycle. I find that seems to do some good preparing the quads and calves. Ironically, it's the descents, not the climbs, that really give the quads a workout. I'm frequently asked if unicycling helps my balance on the snowboard but it's not a factor. If I haven't acquired good balancing skills by age 62 it's a little late now. I can't tell you how many folks think they're clever (and original) by shouting "You've lost a wheel!". To which I reply:

1. "I never learned to ride a two-wheeler".

or

2. "It's worse than it looks. It started out as a tricycle!"

Good luck in whatever training regimen you adopt this year. Just remember "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed"......
patmoore

Postby John » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:22 am

During the off-season I play golf, often at a small course in which one fairway is parallel to a fairly busy road. At least twice a year while I am near that tee box, some "clever" person will yell "Fore!" out of the window of a passing car.

As for snowboard-specific exercises. I'll see if I can dig out some ideas.
John

Postby bernwern » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 am

As patmoore pointed out, there are really no exercises to help the muscles you use snowboarding. I mostly agree with this....but I do have some pointers:

1) cardio: I do stationary bike for 30 minutes twice per day (4 days a week) at a heart-rate of 160BPM. This helps me not only lose weight, but keep my metabolism up....and also greatly improves muscle endurance. I rode the first 29 days straight last season with only mild muscle aches because of this.

2) I have not done this, but a balance-board is supposed to help. http://www.indoboard.com/ or http://www.extreme-balance-board.com/ I was planning to make my own but never got around to it as I started the cross-training exercises I mentioned previously.

3) Supplements: I take fish oil to help with metabolism and improve my joints. I also use protein powders to help muscle recovery, but only the first part of the season.

-B
bernwern

Postby SteveH » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:53 pm

My experiment this Fall has been to increase the length of sessions on my longboard and focus on balance on one leg.

My routine is to go to a short hill in City Park that let's me get up to about 15 mph. That's enough to make some good turns with some effort needed to resist the force pushing out of the turn.

The real workout comes on the trip back up the hill. I push at least six times before letting the rear foot rest by placing in on the board for a coast. Lately I have tried not putting the rear foot on even while coasting. Instead I let it hang off the side and balance on the front foot only. Not only does that make the workout harder but it is definitely improving my balance over the front foot. I hope that will improve my riding generally and, in particular, moving with the rear foot unstrapped.

Lately I've added a grab at the bottom of the hill to pull the board up into a very short radius turn. It has the added benefit of requiring a full squat.

I alternate one regular run and one switch to improve my switch riding.

Repeat for 1 to 2 hours and your snowboard muscles will definitely get a workout.

I've also found that this routine has improved my technique--at least on the longboard and I expect on the snowboard as well. My toeside turns have always felt much less stable than heelside. After LOTS of expermentation I've figured out that 1) I needed a lot more pelvic push than I had been using, and 2) I was keeping my front shoulder too open to let my hips go where they needed to go. With those two adjustments my toeside turns feel almost identical to heelside.

Steve
SteveH

knee bends on one foot

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:01 pm

I've been doing two sets of 12 one-footed knee bends for each leg at the end of every workout for a year. I don't bend my knee very far, mindful of the modern advice not to get your knee in front of your toes. I really don't know if this will help my boarding, but at least I can put on my socks when there is no place to sit down. :)
This is my fave exercise from No-Fall Snowboarding, a book I think is much better for things OTHER than learning to ride.
Rob

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health