New Report on Outdoor Injuries

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

New Report on Outdoor Injuries

Postby John » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:16 am

There's a new report out on outdoor recreational injuries, spawning headlines like "Snowboarding is the Most Dangerous Sport." I think there's a large measure of sensationalism.

I've written about it here:
http://graysontrays.com/blog/2008/06/sn ... nd-er.html
John

Postby bernwern » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:55 am

One thing I think is not taken into account is season timing. For snowboarders, our season is typically much smaller than those enjoying hiking, rock-climbing, etc. Many of us try to maximize our riding time by doing it often (which takes a physical toll and increases chances of injury), but also riding much faster/harder each day which increases chances of on-hill collisions and injuries. Another point that is that many younger boarders do not cross-train in the off-season, but just pick things back up where they left off....I know many of my friends complain for the first 1-2 weeks about being sore, whereas in recent years I have conditioned my body to be ready to ride. That's my 2 cents.

-B
bernwern

Postby John » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:08 am

I'm not sure if it skews the statistics, but you make a good point about jumping into the season without conditioning.
John

Postby bernwern » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:56 am

Another factor that is not accounted for is age demographics. Maybe more young people get hurt snowboarding because they comprise 65% of the whole, whereas a sport like mountain biking or rock climbing will have completely different demographics.

Just a thought. You can make statistics say whatever you want if you compare them the right way.

-B
bernwern

Postby John » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:29 pm

I haven't read the report carefully. It may be age-adjusted. Or not.
John

dangerous sport

Postby Snowride » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:12 pm

Well, I'll have to agree that "snowboarding is a dangerous sport" considering the way I have seen inexperienced riders (who can't make turns) go into the park and try free style moves, jumps and rails, irresponsible parents encouraging their youngsters to try a "steeper" run before they are ready (as if "steeper" translates to "better"), crazy testosterone-filled teens trying to prove something on the slopes (what? I don't know), alcohol-infused grown men with a goal to outdo their offsprings, still many many riders refusing to wear helmets . . . yeah, I'd say snowboarding is a dangerous sport for these snowboarders. And I'll bet, too, that this representation comprises the ones who make up the ER statistics for all the rest of the snowboarders on the mountain.
I'm a snowboarding grandma approaching 60. Got a place at Bear Valley California and would love to hang with others like me.
Snowride

Hardly

Postby GravityAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:09 pm

Snowboarding is not a dangerous sport. I retired from a serious addiction to whitewater kayaking to take up snowboarding and had a short stint with skydiving, and I'm THRILLED to be alive and can tell you for sure that any sport that allows you to stop, remove your gear, and walk down the hill to your car is safe: relative to your ability to make a choice. I've been nearly buried in two avalanches (one inbounds) and it will open your eyes, but you aint seen dangerous till you've been jammed under a rock for a minute or two in a plastic coffin, at the base of a flood stage 30 ft water fall, in freezing water, while tourists snap photos from the shore. I love the Adrenaline and thrill of snowboarding, but lets get real ... dangerous?? Sitting at home eating chips and watching tv will end your life alot sooner. Stay inbounds, don't kiss a tree, and be aware of your surroundings, and your safe as a baby in grandma's arms.... :mrgreen:
GravityAddict

Re: New Report on Outdoor Injuries

Postby canoer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:39 pm

"A 2012 study by the University of Vermont College of Medicine concluded that snowboarders have a higher injury rate than skiers. Snowboarders tend to suffer more injuries to their wrists, shoulders and ankles as well as concussions, while skiers had more knee and lower leg injuries, according to the study."

Snowboarding craze cools as new designs make skiing easier (LA Times)
canoer

Re: New Report on Outdoor Injuries

Postby Rob3 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:54 am

Being born is fatal.
Rob3

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health