Dealing with aches and pains

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

Dealing with aches and pains

Postby Snowride » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm

As older riders out there, I thought we should have a topic about aches and pains and how members out there handle them.

I have bad knees (torn meniscus, I think) and refuse to get them operated on. I've been going to acupuncture and that seems to help. Funny thing is: if I ride, my knees seem to do better. I swim when I am not riding, and that seems to aggravate the knees. At the moment, I can't bend my right knee too tightly. That's not a problem for riding, so I just live with it.

First day out is always more challenging. I love the second day when my muscles are all loosened up and ready to go. I can't do five days in a row. That kills.

How about you? Just wondering how other riders handle muscle aches, past injuries etc. etc.
I'm a snowboarding grandma approaching 60. Got a place at Bear Valley California and would love to hang with others like me.
Snowride

Postby canoer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Hot tub and Advil. :)

If you don't have good range of motion, a few sessions of physical therapy can do a lot of good. My wife just did 3 pre-ACL surgery sessions and got most of her range of motion back (3 PT sessions and daily exercises).

It's a bit surprising that swimming aggravates your knee joints, but I avoid doing stuff that "hurts."
canoer

ow...it hurts when I do that.

Postby leftcoast larry » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:49 pm

Aleeve; about an hour before the slidin'. Cold packs and heat pad after - as/if needed. One cold beer...no matter what.

Lots of easy does it yoga with a focus on my calves (I've got really tight Achilles tendons), quality time on the old treadmill (no running for me, I like my knees) oh yeah, and long walks on the beach at sunset.
leftcoast larry

Postby bernwern » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:48 am

Well, for pain I use Aleve mostly....or whatever prescriptions I can get my hands on :)

Over the past few years I have tried preventative medicine and exercise I work out for 2 months before season to get in shape. I also take calcium pills, multi-vitamins, and fish oil pills. The fish oil helps a ton with joint pain...they are also good for your heart and slightly boost metabolism.

-B
bernwern

Postby dcdrumrider70 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:06 pm

"Funny thing is: if I ride, my knees seem to do better" use it or lose it lol

Definitely have an exercise regimen a few months before the snow falls. I skied a long time before snowboarding and a phrase that I heard somewhere and stuck with me was "don't ski to exercise, exercise to ski".

If you just did a long trail or maybe a bumps run, its good to take a minute and stretch out your leg muscles with they are still juiced up.

One refreshing beer for sure to top off a great day.
dcdrumrider70

Postby John » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:07 am

My ideal workout routine is 30 on an arc trainer (like an elliptical but different). That helps a lot with length strength and helps avoid cramps. I rarely have leg cramps or really tired legs.

I've been lucky concerning the knees. No serious problems, though I've taken a nasty spill here and there.
John

Postby welshscarry » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:28 pm

I'm also a big believer in trying to shape year round, but step it up a notch before the season starts.

Summers find me doing long hikes (up to 6 -8 hours, up to 13,000ft) one day a week, short runs 3x a week, and riding the moutain bike an hour or more one day a week. Yoga one day a week.

As I have aged, it seems that cross training with a lot of different activities works really well for my body, overall fitness, and lack of injuries.

That said, I still have shoulder problem (from falling off a box in the terrain park) a year ago. :)
I am just taking Advil, icing it, and trying to keep up with the exercises the PT gave me last summer. It didnt stop me from riding this winter.
welshscarry

Postby dcdrumrider70 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:27 pm

I cross train. Lift 3 days a week.

I bruised a rib screwing around in a halfpipe two weeks ago. I fell forward and my hands and forearms were in a good position to help break the fall, the problem my chest landed on one of my fists. lol ouch
dcdrumrider70

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:55 pm

Lots of excellent suggestions. A few additional things that work for me.

I ride longboards during the off season. Helps to keep the legs in shape and is a great balance tune up.

I visit the chiropractor once a month, or more often if I've banged myself up on the board. Getting the kinks out of my back has caused miraculous recoveries.

I also do regular massage therapy. Helps with pain and stress relief.

I just finished riding 9 days in a row with no significant pain, so something is working.
SteveH

Postby Snowride » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, comments, feedback etc. Wow, 9 days in a row! How old are you, Steve? I was able to do that much just last year without much pain. Seems like my body really changed this year.
I'm a snowboarding grandma approaching 60. Got a place at Bear Valley California and would love to hang with others like me.
Snowride

Postby smilenl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:54 pm

I tore the meniscus in my lead knee 2 years ago...it still niggles at me every now and then, especially after hard snow conditions it can be achey.

I've found taking glucosamine has definitely helped reducing the general ache. I know others who have found it also works, and about the same amount again where it didn't work at all so by no means am I saying it's a miracle cure ;)

A physio once told me that for the first 48 hours after doing "new" excercise that you shouldn't really have hot baths/showers/saunas. The reason is that the fibres in the muscles have ripped/torn/stretched and as a result small amounts of blood seep into the muscle tissue. If you go for heat then it encourages further bleading. It's also why top athletes nowadays go for ice baths etc (although that's certainly not one for me!).

However after 48 hours heat is the best way to help your muscles heal!
smilenl

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Snowride wrote:Wow, 9 days in a row! How old are you, Steve?

I'm 61, but spent much of the 1960s in an altered state of consciousness, so my actual mileage is lower.
SteveH

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health