knee/shin protection

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

knee/shin protection

Postby hookster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:09 pm

Hey All,
I managed to come down hard on a rail yesterday with both shins (caught a little of the toe edge of the board on the underside of the rail as I ollied up) I'm now thinking of adding some knee/shin protection to the list of armor that I wear. Has anyone used any that they're happy with?
My main thing I'd be concerned with are ones that stay in place while boarding without alot of fussing with. Comfortable would be great too but secondary to staying in place.

hookster

Postby SteveH » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:59 pm

I wear a pair of ProTec soft knee pads. They give good coverage above, below and around the side of the knee, but nothing on the shin.

I skate bowls on inline skates and have looked at, but not purchased combo knee-shin protectors designed for BMX. Both ProTec and SixSixOne make them. You can check them out at www.xsportsprotective.com. They look like they would give good protection and if you can pedal a bike with them boarding should be no problem.

Steve
SteveH

Postby hookster » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:14 am

Hey Steve,
Thanks for the link. Most of the ones I'd looked at so far looked like the shin guard came down too far to use with my boots but some of those BMX ones look like they might do the trick.
hookster

Postby SteveH » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:36 pm

De nada hookster. If you find something that works well please let us know. If I got my knees and shins armored I might get up the nerve to try some rails.

Steve
SteveH

Postby daysailer1 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:19 am

Quite a few pro's in our locker room use a knee/shinguard combo from Skeletools. http://www.skeletools.com/products.html#pads They are very reasonably priced.

I've been using knee pads from Pro-Tec but I think I need to upgrade.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

ASTERISK.COM

Postby wingman » Sat May 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Daysailer, Have ever seen these kneepads? www.asterisk.com Pretty much takes care of all of it. They are pricey, but they look like you could hit a rock with them and come away uninjured.
wingman

Postby daysailer1 » Sat May 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I haven't seen those wingman. Those look to be da bomb for dirt bike racing but I gotta be able to move when teaching. I wonder how flexible they are? I'm also a member of the Don Joy club so I need something I can wear my brace over.

Those may work for some people but I don't know if too many instructors would dish out that kinda dough for them. Stuff that you can quickly get in and out of is a plus. Washability is a factor too. Our locker room gets pretty smelly sometimes. :lol:

I can see some pro riders and snowmobilers wearing those.
daysailer1

Postby hookster » Sat May 24, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks Daysailer,
I bought some Protecs but I'm not completely happy with the way they feel. I'm ordering the Skeletools so I can give them a try.

Hookster
hookster

Postby bernwern » Tue May 27, 2008 11:13 am

You may be interested in what I want....not just knee/shin protection, but a full setup: the 661 Pressure Suit. Here's a link:

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Snow.aspx?id=a8e76e73-d3a0-4280-96b1-9d91b06394ef&product=176b15c2-12f1-4bee-be73-0e30f684b8e7

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Snow.aspx?id=e6fd45ae-5bf9-4316-af00-d83a301c7d65&product=1917f822-756b-4b3c-98d9-b1d6be802ded

It is stealth gear so you wear it like thermals under your clothes. Obviously it adds some bulk, but it is engineered to be as light-weight and form-fitting as possible, not to mention adding tons of protection. Alot of boarderX riders use this type of gear.

-B
bernwern

Postby hookster » Tue May 27, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks Bernwern,
I've been looking at those for a while now but one of my concerns is it looks like it might be really hot wearing all that extra coverage underneath. I seldom wear thermal underwear under my riding pants unless the temps are in the single digits. but if anyones tried the 6-6-1 gear or something like it I'd love to hear a some thoughts. :)
hookster

Postby bernwern » Wed May 28, 2008 9:29 am

I sweat really easily. I typically wear just my thermals and my shell pants and jacket.....with vents open when 20°+. The only time I add layers is when it is below zero, and that is usually only an extra layer of fleece pants and jacket. I would guess these would replace thermals, but I do not have first-hand experience.

-B
bernwern

Postby John » Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 am

Well, the description does mention wicking qualities, which is good.
John

Postby daysailer1 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:16 am

I tried out the Skeletools knee/shin guards at A-Basin on Sunday. A full-time Australian instructor gave me a cast off pair of hers to try out. I really like them. They are form fitting, light weight, and offered good knee padding. The elastic bands kept everything in place throughout the day. I didn't jump on any rails though - the beginner park is closed. The only con is that the adjustable velcro tabs at the top above the knee do wear out eventually. I can't say how long it took these to wear out but the full-timers do generally have at least a 130 day season. I like them and am ordering some.
daysailer1

Postby hookster » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:52 pm

I picked up a pair of the skeletools and like the quality. They seem like they'll stay in place. I'll be giving them a try this weekend up at Boreal

Later,
Hookster
hookster

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health