Helmets: Useful in Glades, Flats, and in the Park

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

Helmets: Useful in Glades, Flats, and in the Park

Postby John » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:21 am

A recent study suggests that helmets can be useful after all. No, they can't help you if you hit a tree at a high speed. But as this report points out, more people are snowriding at slower speeds:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/530800/

The article linked to in the news release also mentions "opposite edge phenomenon," or what I would call "biting a edge," as a reason to wear a helmet on easy terrain.
John

Postby Dweebs » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:35 pm

Boarding and helmets should go together, and probably soon will be. Anyone who has caught a backside edge at low speeds will probably agree. With Lawyers and risk managers in the mix, it's only a matter of time before they become manditory, or at least out here.

We are required to wear them at all times on any chair except the begginer chairs while teaching a class or lesson.

If I am skiing, I usually don't wear a helmet unless I have to, If I am boarding, you won't see me without one. seen stars just too many times
Dweebs

Postby John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:26 pm

A meta-analysis of skiing and snowboarding says that helmets are valuable:

While the general injury rate among winter sports enthusiasts has declined since the 1970s, largely as a result of better equipment, the risks of serious injuries appears to be increasing, say a group of Canadian doctors led by Charles Tator, of Toronto Western Hospital.

The team looked at 24 studies from ten countries and found that traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries were increasing. Men were more likely to be hurt than women, and the authors blame increased speeds and a growing tendency for people to jump and perform acrobatic manoeuvres. Snowboarders appear to be at greater hazard than skiiers, they conclude in Injury Prevention. One Norwegian report found that snowboarders were three to four times as likely to suffer injury, while a Canadian study found that they were 50 per cent more likely to have head and neck injuries.

Overall, say the team, there is evidence “that the incidence of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and spinal cord injury (SCI) in these activities may be increasing”. They add: “These injuries can cause death or severe debilitation, both physically and emotionally, and also result in enormous financial burden to society.

“There is evidence that helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 22-60 per cent.”

See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 994775.ece or http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 190554.htm

If anyone has access to Prevention (where the study was published) and could send me a copy, drop me a private message.
John

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health