What Safety Gear or Padding Do you Wear?

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

Postby mergs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:33 am

helmet, a** pads and knee pads for me. always. the day i don't wear the helmet, i bonk my head. the day i don't wear the crash pads i a** check on the fun box. its just my luck. :lol:
powder whore, tree junkie, backcountry monkey
mergs

Postby shikshak » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:19 pm

I was just checking around on the internet about the necessity of wrist guards and came across some nasty information, just like John said-they are the most common injury and very gruesome. The web pages that get into the types of wrist guards to wear say that a stiff insert on the back of the hand is more important than the guard on the palm because when falling the wrist snaps backwards. I took a nasty fall off a lift and if I hadn't had the guards on, it could've been nasty. Even with the guards, which have a hard insert on the palm and the back, I have a sprain. Tomorrow I'll tighten up the guards!
Last edited by shikshak on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shikshak

Postby GregH » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:21 am

Thanks for the info
GregH

Postby DMC » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:34 am

Never wore wrist gaurds... Doubt I ever will..

I think there's a technique to falling that you develope over time... I try not to extend my hands in a fall - I'll make a fist instead...
DMC

Postby mergs » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:38 pm

DMC wrote:Never wore wrist gaurds... Doubt I ever will..

I think there's a technique to falling that you develope over time... I try not to extend my hands in a fall - I'll make a fist instead...

yeah... i agree with this... i rarely fall on my wrists... i was just sitting here and wondering why bc obviously a lot of people do. :?

then it occured to me... see if this theory holds water: there's a reaction time required for someone to stick a hand out and try to break the fall. once you get to a certain point snowboarding you go faster... i think at a certin point falls happen so fast that there is *no time* to stick a hand out. in fact i took a nasty fall at jay 3 weeks ago. (to make a long story short: i came off some cliffy thing, the landing was on thin cover, must have caught a rock and somersaulted into a boulder. i ended up faceplanting into that rock. needless to say, i did not put a hand out... i took it on the cheek (i still have a cut/scar where the googles dug in). :shock:

so what's my point? not that i'm super fast, i am not... but as you ride faster, i'm thinkin wrist guards are probably not needed (unless you ride with your hands straight out), simply bc you can't get hand out in time to stop your fall. actually what i need wrist guards for is mtb... i am the king of endos. :cry:

anyway... these days... i hit my head and a** mostly. sometimes a shoulder into a branch... but rarely wrists (man i hope i did not jinx myself).

ps. i am not saying you folks with wrist guards should not wear them, go for it. the more gear you have the longer you'll survive this sport! i take it none of us here, heal like we used to! :lol:
powder whore, tree junkie, backcountry monkey
mergs

Postby John » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:41 pm

You never know when some padding can come in handy. I was riding in fairly soft snow last week and then came to the end of the run. I rode into a patch that was in the shade. The snow was hard, I tried to turn, and bam, fell down. Glad I was wearing impact shorts.
John

Postby alwysbrdn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Something to consider. I have torn both rotator cuffs and retracted both bicep tendons. So this sport can be tough on the body. One piece of equipment I would recommend in a protective jacket. It protects the shoulders, ribs, kidneys, forearms and spine. These are typically used for downhill mountain biking. Look for one that is lightwieght and breathable. Take care
alwysbrdn

Postby John » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

Your comment reminds me of Montel Williams, who was profiled in USA today a couple of years ago:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spo ... ntel_x.htm

"I don't care how good you are you're going to fall," says Williams, who in five seasons has snowboarded nearly 500 days. "I took a fall two years ago and broke my shoulder, tore my rotator cuff and my bicep all in one fall. And just the other day I caught an edge and fell so hard it made my ears spin. Because of my safety gear, I got to get up and keep riding."

Williams takes his snowboarding seriously and that means wearing the gear.

"Because of the previous injuries, I wear motocross upper body armor when I board now," Williams explains. "I have shoulder padding, a chest pad and back padding. And if I'm riding in the terrain park, I wear a butt pad and volleyball knee pads too. I look like a gladiator getting ready."

I can go through a whole session without falling, though it does happen from time to time. Still, I've never come close to tearing a rotator cuff. How does that happen? Crashing at a high speed and getting your arm in the wrong place?

Any recommendations for where to buy one of those protective jackets? I'd like to see what they are like.
John

Postby alchook » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm

I have a pair of shorts and a jacket by Dainese:

http://www.dainese.com/pre.asp

I got them when I first learned to ride. I had taken a stab at it once, but I fell on hard midwestern ice and cracked a rib.

At this point I'm not really sure whether it makes much sense, but it's really quite comfortable. And you always have the annoying feeling that the first day you don't wear it...
alchook

Postby nade » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi, new to the board here. 24 years old, been riding for 4 seasons now.

protection...
i always wear a helmet. Boeri makes a h*ll of a helmet, and it s not bulky nor uncomfortable. i used to wear wrist guards due to previous injuries (broke both twice) and the first season i sprained my wrist. However, I ve noticed that it s all about learning to fall, rather than trying to make your fall hurt less. catch an edge, bring your chin to your neck, fist your hands and bring them in fron ot your chest. the more you spread the impact zone over your entinre body, the less of a chance you have to injure one part of your body. so if you catch a heel edge, your a** will slam first, but don t be afraid to go all the way and roll on your back. catch a toe edge, do not slam down on your knees. relax you body and fall straight down with your chin and arms as explained above. your entire body will absorb the impact as opposed to just your knees getting jacked up upon initial impact.
nade

Postby snobug » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:56 am

I started wearing a helmet a few years ago, but that is about it really - no wrist guards or anything.
snobug

Postby welshscarry » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:06 am

Helmet, helmet, helmet.

Wrist guards.

I work in a Colorado hospital.
You all may not really believe the numbers of wrist, arm, shoulder fractures, and head injuries that we see with snowboarders.
(Skiiers really do have more injuries of the knee, lower leg and upper leg.)

Head slams can hurt , but you can ride away most days if you are wearing a helmet.

Hitting a tree? That's another story.

Yes, I'm probably overly aware because of my workplace.
welshscarry

Postby SteveS » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:59 pm

Helmet of course. No reason not to.

My best investment when I started was Burton gloves with built-in wrist guards. Maybe with more experience now they aren't so necessary, but they are comfortable and give me one less thing to worry about. Not sure if they still make them, but I think other companies do.
SteveS

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:36 pm

This is my second season, and I only wish someone had said before season 1, "get yourself some impact shorts with tailbone protection." Last year I fell once really hard on my tailbone and felt it for at least nine months after. This year, with impact shorts I found at REI, and volleyball knee pads, falls just didn't seem to stop me. I'd say to myself, "Nope, that's not the way." Then jump up and ride off. So, once more for someone contemplating their first season:

GET A HELMET AND A PAIR OF IMPACT SHORTS!

Yeah, you can look like a gladiator getting dressed, but you're still smiling at the end of the day, and you're eager for the next day.
Rob

Know when to quit for the day

Postby SteveS » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:15 pm

Maybe one of the best pieces of safety 'gear' is knowing when your legs are tired out. Yesterday, I caught an edge going at moderate speed at the end of a great day with no problems. Did an 'aerial' and landed on the back of my head which, thankfully, was inside a helmet. Thinking back on it, I'd bet I wasn't riding in a good position. I tend to straighten up when my legs get tired and that doesn't let you turn as easily.
SteveS

PreviousNext

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health