Helmets Reduce Injuries

Dealing with aches and pains--and better yet, avoiding them--and fitness related to snowboarding. This is also the place to talk about helmets, safety pads, and goggles.

Re: Where can I get a RED Hi fi?

Postby Kecht06 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:56 am

SoonerShredder43 wrote:I think I broke my current Pico helmet fling back From SAN DIego. I was riding today at my local place (Ski Liberty, PA) and as i buckle my helmet a piece broke off in my hand.

I rode with anyway, but now I have an excuse to find some new gear...

This brings up a great point..... Helmets are made to break if hit too hard. That's what helps absorb the shock of a hard hit. If you take a hard head hit, your helmet should be replaced.
Kecht06

Postby volfan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:19 pm

I wear one of those thin "skullcap" helmet liners like you see football players wearing. Mine is a "Headsweat" brand from REI. Its great for keeping my head from sweating up the padding in my helmet, plus it keeps my ears warm and hold my earbuds in place...

A few years ago, a girl lost control, skied off the run and smacked a tree causing fatal injuries. Don't know if a helmet would have saved her life but why take a chance if you don't have to...
volfan

strong believer

Postby Snowride » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:32 am

I am a strong believer of wearing my helmet, regardless of weather (too hot?) situation (just going for a quick run!) or condition (it's soft powder out there, I'm not going to get hurt when I fall). It's a good habit to wear a helmet every time and I have been doing it 100% of the time now and like it. HIGHLY recommended!!!!
I'm a snowboarding grandma approaching 60. Got a place at Bear Valley California and would love to hang with others like me.
Snowride

Postby GravityAddict » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Most folks here agree a helmet is a good thing. Alot of younger people will look for any reason to argue about the data and justify not wearing a helmet. It's obvious, if you hit your head against something, its better to have something between your head and the object... duh. that said, I've tried four different helmets and hated them all. They feel huge on my head and throw my balance off. the top of the helmet was always hitting branches where my head would have slipped under nicely. In short, after much research, I have decided to go without since it diminishes the experience. Ya makes your choices and ya lives with em.... :D
GravityAddict

Postby wrathfuldeity » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:30 am

Ocassionally work ER doing psych evals, you can buy quite a few helmets for the price of an ER visit and a head CAT scan. Also fixin brains is not like fixin broken bones, ortho surgery and pt rehab.
Baker!
wrathfuldeity

Previous

Return to Fitness, Safety and Health