NASTAR Nationals 2010

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

NASTAR Nationals 2010

Postby patmoore » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:28 am

Winter Park Resort in Winter Park, Colorado, will be the official host site for the 2010 Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships March 25 – 28, 2010. DaySailer1 is our unofficial host and is a terrific resource for info on the resort. Plan on joining us this year. We need to increase the numbers of snowboard racers. I've been attending the Nationals for the past half dozen years and the experience is the highlight of each winter.

We had a great four years at Steamboat but it will be nice to try a new venue. Here's what the snowboard course looked like last year.

Start making your plans to attend!
patmoore

Re: NASTAR Nationals 2010

Postby John » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I like the look of snowboarding gates (I've used only skiing ones), but I don't know that I'd still get close enough to them to take advantage of their shape.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby SteveH » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:36 pm

Winter Park is about an hour and a half outside of Denver. Much easier to get to than Steamboat. Front range riders can do it as a day trip. Hopefully that will increase the turnout.
SteveH

Postby daysailer1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Hey guys,

I've been off the forum for awhile. My anti-hacking software wouldn't let me visit the site. It said it was a known hacking site. :shock:

If you guys need any help for Nationals, let me know. The Ski School locker room is about 100ft from the slope. Just look for the blue building next to the railroad tracks. There will be some red tables and chairs out on a plaza.

I plan on racing too. I think there will lots of peer pressure for me. If you guys want a race clinic, I may be able to arrange something with Wendy Pons. There may be other things arrranged with the Competition Center or Ski School as the season rolls on. I'll have to talk to Bob Barnes about it. I talked to the CEO of Winter Park on Aug 1 about NASTAR. He said they had just signed the contract the week before with NASTAR and everything was just starting to get planned.

I've already posted some information on the NASTAR.com forum website and on EpicSki.com.

Winter isn't too far away. They have already been testing the guns up at Loveland. There was fresh snow on the peaks on August 1. It's been pretty cool here this summer.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Postby John » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:32 am

Yeah, the board was hacked a while ago so it got on the black list. It should be fine, now. If you have problems with the security features, send me a message. (You'll find the address on the sidebar of the main site.)

Thanks for the info about Winter Park. I've never been in a race clinic. It could be useful--or perhaps trying, since I figure I would have to dramatically change my style if I want to improve my scores.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Postby SteveH » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:20 am

John wrote: I've never been in a race clinic. It could be useful--or perhaps trying, since I figure I would have to dramatically change my style if I want to improve my scores.

In my very brief racing experience this is what I've figured out.
1. Racing isn't that different from carving a groomer. The gates dictate where you have to make the turn, but the technique is basically the same.
2. Tactics matter. If you simply aim for the next gate you will be way out of position for the gate after that. You need to be planning at least 2 gates ahead so the next turn lines you up for the one after that.
3. Skidding kills speed. Once you feel the board going sideways you can kiss that run off for a good time.
4. Go fast, don't fall.
SteveH

Postby daysailer1 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 am

Might be good to get Cindy Kleh and Wendy Pons. Cindy is a veteran USASA National Champion and Wendy was sponsored by Smith Optics at one point. Both work at Winter Park. Wendy had stopped racing due to a back injury but she's had surgery and was racing at Beaver Creek last season. Cindy was getting training through the Competion Center. Snowboarding is serious stuff at Winter Park. The trench diggers do come out.

Go fast, don't fall.

Someone told me that one night under the lights at Keystone. Kinda scary.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Postby patmoore » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:51 am

SteveH wrote:
John wrote: I've never been in a race clinic. It could be useful--or perhaps trying, since I figure I would have to dramatically change my style if I want to improve my scores.

In my very brief racing experience this is what I've figured out.
1. Racing isn't that different from carving a groomer. The gates dictate where you have to make the turn, but the technique is basically the same.
2. Tactics matter. If you simply aim for the next gate you will be way out of position for the gate after that. You need to be planning at least 2 gates ahead so the next turn lines you up for the one after that.
3. Skidding kills speed. Once you feel the board going sideways you can kiss that run off for a good time.
4. Go fast, don't fall.

Nice assessment Steve. All points are valid. Picking the proper line is crucial.
patmoore

Return to Snowboarding Competitions