I qualified for NASTAR Nationals (!)

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

Thanks

Postby patmoore » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks. Last year was a fluke. I'm first and foremost a snowboarder but happened to have a couple of good days on skis at last year's Nationals.

Looking at who's preregistered in the Platinum division this year, I'll be lucky to finish in the top half.

Regardless of outcome, it's always a fun event. I'd encourage everyone to try it.
patmoore

Postby daysailer1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

It looks like I will be training at Steamboat on the Tue and Wed before Nationals. That would be Snowboard Cert 2 exam training not NASTAR training. Steamboat's Ski School has a RM Examiner and a AASI Demo Team Member and they've offered free exam training to fellow Intrawest Resort employees. I'll be busy all day on Tues but it looks like Wed morning is free until 1PM. If anyone wants to go do some riding but doesn't mind being with someone in a Winter Park uniform, hey let's do some runs. There may be 2-4 WP snowboard instructors riding around.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Postby daysailer1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:08 pm

The top of Rabbit Ears Pass on Monday at 3 PM. Looks like another storm is going to be rolling in later this week.

I went training with Steamboat staff today. I finally got the tricks for doing a backside 180. We worked on bumps, and some other Cert 2 exam riding tasks. Tomorrow we will be working on Movement Analysis. I went freeriding with Steamboat SRS staff this PM. The powder was REALLY nice in the trees around Wally World - knee deep freshies. On the way down the mountain, I met the Head of Steamboat HR. Really friendly person.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Re: I qualified for NASTAR Nationals (!)

Postby PamelaDare » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:31 pm

I just happened upon this thread (too busy learning to think about the fun of competition) but wow!-- there are some great riders here! I'm not entirely sure if I know what NASTAR is exactly but the link or two provided to some of the footage indicates it is a great time for everyone.

Is this a Colorado thing??
PamelaDare

Re: I qualified for NASTAR Nationals (!)

Postby John » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Pam,

NASTAR is not a Colorado-only thing. You can run NASTAR races at over 120 resorts in North America. See http://www.nastar.com/

I'm thinking of getting a NASTAR season pass ($50) at my local hill, which gives me an unlimited number of NASTAR runs whenever the course is open. Now if I had big-time mountains available to me, I probably would not bother. But it is a way to add some variety to a "resort" that would otherwise lose its charm in short order.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fan page is http://www.facebook.com/GraysOnTrays
John

Previous

Return to Snowboarding Competitions