I qualified for NASTAR Nationals (!)

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

I qualified for NASTAR Nationals (!)

Postby John » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Hey folks,

I qualified for the NASTAR National Championships, to be held at Steamboat Springs at the end of March. Buy me a drink, everyone.

Oh wait. I think I got in because I'm one of *two* snowboarding guys in my age bracket who have even RUN the NASTAR course at my local hill this season.

Read about it here:

http://graysontrays.com/blog/2009/02/bi ... -pond.html
Last edited by John on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John

Me too!

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, it looks like GOT has quite the representation among Nationals qualifiers! I qualified in the same "big fish, small pond" way that you did. I'm sure Pat Moore and DaySailor qualified because they're good.

I'm actually thinking of going to Steamboat for the event. Sounds like a cool party (and it's not a very long drive from here).

If Pat or DaySailor or others who have been have tips for a first timer, I'd love to hear them.
SteveH

Postby John » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 am

SteveH, both PatMoore and DaySailer1 are great racers. You and me, well, yeah, the big-fish, little-pond theory may apply.

I told my wife about my having qualified. Her response: "So are they going to pay for you to get there?"

Good point.
John

Re: Me too!

Postby patmoore » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:29 am

SteveH wrote:If Pat or DaySailor or others who have been have tips for a first timer, I'd love to hear them.

Just come on out and have fun. Snowboarders comprise a small percentage of the total registrants and the chances of making the podium are excellent. Imagine going to work the following week and announcing you're National Champion in your age group. The first two times I went, I was the only entrant in my age group.

The event is professionally run and an absolute blast. I'd encourage anyone who qualifies to go.

Air fares are pretty reasonable these days. I got a round trip from Hartford to Steamboat on American for $285.
patmoore

Schedule

Postby patmoore » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:36 pm

Just got off the phone with Bill Madsen, the director of NASTAR. There is a typo in the schedule that was mailed out. Boarders will race at 9:30 on both Friday and Saturday.
patmoore

Postby John » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:52 pm

The event is timed pretty badly for me this year. Is it always that week?

Is there much time for freeriding? I'd hate to go all the way to a place known for trees and spend all my time running gates.

By the way, I took 6 runs this last weekend, and had both my BEST and my WORST times this season.

The worst came on race #6, two after I had scored a season best. I biffed on a heelside traverse. A bit annoyed, I took my time getting up before finishing the gates.

For my rankings or whatnot, would have been better for me to take a DNF in that case?
Last edited by John on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Postby patmoore » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:04 pm

John wrote:The event is time pretty badly for me this year. Is it always that week?

Is there much time for freeriding? I'd hate to go all the way to a place known for trees and spend all my time running gates.

By the way, I took 6 runs this last weekend, and had both my BEST and my WORST times this season.

The worst came on race #6, two after I had scored a season best. I biffed on a heelside traverse. A bit annoyed, I took my time getting up before finishing the gates.

For my rankings or whatnot, would have been better for me to take a DNF in that case?

Last year they were earlier in March. I'm not sure why they are later this year.

You'll be racing in the morning Friday and Saturday and will have the balance of both days to explore the rest of the mountain. If you win your age group, you'll be racing in the Race of Champions on Sunday morning but will have the rest of that day free too.

Your national ranking is based only on your lowest handicap so that it doesn't matter if a run was a DNF or a high time.

Here's a list of everyone who has signed up to date sorted by age. The snowboarders are listed first so you can see what the competition is like. Because of the light turnout among boarders, there's an excellent chance of making the podium

Because of a glitch in the registration software, dual entrants are only shown once. I'm listed under Male 60-64 Platinum Skiers but not under Male 60-64 Snowboarders even though I am registered as both.

Let me know if you do decide to compete. I'm looking forward to meeting you!
patmoore

Postby daysailer1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 pm

I qualified. I haven't signed up yet.

I've only had time to race one day on a NASTAR course. My times aren't the best I know I can do. Looks like my competition has already signed up. There is some severe competition in the old lady snowboarder category. I gotta hit the course more to get back in form. I've been hit with a ski-bike craze lately. Ski bikes are fun - even in the NASTAR course (hee, hee).

Apparently last year turned into a big conflict with Spring Breakers. College kids and NASTAR spelled out a shortage of hotel rooms in Steamboat Springs. They moved the NASTAR dates to something that optimized hotel rooms and revenue.

There should still be plenty of snow though we sure could use a ton more right now. Last year winter wouldn't stop and delayed alot of construction into almost June at Winter Park.
AASI - Rocky Mountain Cert. 1
Winter Park Ski & Ride School Adult Program
Winter Park Ski Bike Program Certified Instructor
daysailer1

Postby SteveH » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I have now signed up so I'm committed. For now at least, there are some great bargains on lodging through the Nastar program. You can also get discounts on lift tickets and there are some race clinics available prior to the competition.

I've only run gates a couple of times ever, so I have a lot more prep to do than daysailer1. Look forward to seeing her and Pat Moore in Steamboat, along with any other GOTers who may have qualified.
SteveH

Postby daysailer1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Great!

I'm afraid I get better deals than most of you. My employee pass works straight to the lift there. My co-workers out there cut me a break on certain other practice items too. I will be car camping out at the campground again this year. Can't beat $17.00/night except if I crashed at a colleagues pad - which I may still do.

My race clinics generally involve chasing after my Ski School Director during Ski School clinics during the season. He's on ski's, I'm on a snowboard. He generally asks "do you guys want to go fast or go do moguls?" As he is one of the best mogul skiers in the country, I cop out and choose going fast.

You will have the afternoons free. I have spent them freeriding around the hill. Last year the snow was iffy off piste during NNC but the following week was a couple of feet of freshies. Christmas Tree Bowl ...drool. I can also get some local instructors to give up the hidden goods. I know the mountain pretty well but, there's always more.
daysailer1

Postby patmoore » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:18 pm

SteveH wrote:I have now signed up so I'm committed. For now at least, there are some great bargains on lodging through the Nastar program. You can also get discounts on lift tickets and there are some race clinics available prior to the competition.

I've only run gates a couple of times ever, so I have a lot more prep to do than daysailer1. Look forward to seeing her and Pat Moore in Steamboat, along with any other GOTers who may have qualified.

Terrific. The more the merrier!

The registration software doesn't list dual entrants so I'm only shown as a skier but I'll definitely be there for the boarding as well.

Looking forward to meeting you!
patmoore

Postby daysailer1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Okay, I'm signed up now.

The competition is VERY intense in my division. ALL the top racers will be there. It truly will be a National Championship in my age bracket.

Gaaa, now I have to practice. I'm getting undue pressure from certain sectors.
daysailer1

The Nationals Experience

Postby patmoore » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:17 pm

I put together a short video of the NASTAR Nationals in 2008. It will give you a little flavor of what the event is all about. You'll notice that everyone is smiling!

Come join us if you can.
patmoore

He slides both ways

Postby SteveH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:36 pm

The careful observer will note pictures in the video of Pat on a board and skis. He is apparently too modest to point out that he is the first person in Nastar history to win the national championship in both skiing and snowboarding in his division.

Now that's making a statement for the Grays on Trays crowd. Congrats Pat!
Last edited by SteveH on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveH

Postby justdust » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 am

Pat, YOU ROCK!!!
justdust

Next

Return to Snowboarding Competitions