NASTAR Tips

Most Grays on Trays aren't into competitive riding--halfpipe, slopestyle, boardercross, etc.--but we can still appreciate the skills of those who do. Talk about the Olympics, X Games, the U.S. Snowboarding Open, etc. here.

NASTAR Tips

Postby John » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm looking for tips from someone (Pat?) on running NASTAR tracks. I'm riding softboots on a directional twin-tip freeride board, running GS gates.

I'm doing this in the spirit of camaraderie than competition. Next month I'll be in a convention with about 200 skiers and 4 snowboarders. One of our regular events is to run a NASTAR course. We split into teams, and then compare the top 3 scores from each team to determine the winning team.

Last year we met at Bretton Woods and I ran my third and fourth (ever) course. On one of the runs I was (if I remember correctly) 2 seconds off a bronze medal.

Next month we're meeting again. Last week I ran some gates to get familiar with it again. (You can read about it here: http://graysontrays.com/blog/2009/02/na ... quite.html.)

My conclusion, oddly, was that I should make wide, not narrow turns. When I tried to get into the more narrow turns that the skiers used, I got into icy conditions, did not hold an edge, started slipping, and then had to slow WAY down so that I did not miss the next gate.

What do you suggest, keeping in mind my setup?
John

NASTAR

Postby patmoore » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:15 pm

Sorry, John. I missed this post before. Running gates on a snowboard can present challenges skiers don't encounter. Traditional ski gates used at the vast majority of NASTAR courses present a far more formidable obstacle to boarders than to skiers. Having once taken one square in the chest I now give them a wide berth.

Icy conditions can be particularly intimidating when you're on one edge as opposed to two. Last night I made two runs on a GS course in extremely icy conditions. On my board I was almost out of control and fell in each run. I then switched to skis and was able to turn in some fairly good times.

I guess the best advice I can give you for a course with decent snow is to adopt the same strategy that a ski racer would use: (1) Take a high line so that you are making S turns instead of Z turns. This will allow you to complete the turn before you get to the gate and will help minimize the effects of an icy course. (2) Always look at least a gate ahead to help you pick your line.

Good luck to you!
patmoore

Return to Snowboarding Competitions